Leftover hops for an APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeordye11

Reaction score
I have some leftover hops that I'm planning on hucking into an APA recipe. Looking for suggestions on which way to go. Fire away!

10# 2-row
0.5# Crystal 20-40
Notty

Hops in no particular order:
1oz Centennial 9.7%
1/2 Tettnang 5.1%
1/2 Liberty 3.0%
1/2 Warrior 18.4%
1/2 Summit 18.5%
1/2 Mt. Hood 6.7%

Best sounding order and timing wins. Would love to try FWH if what I have would apply. Cheers!

Start with your lowest alpha hops and work your way up:

2 HBU in mashtun
5.2 HBU in empty kettle as FWH
6.75 HBU (30)
3.8 HBU (15)
3.3 HBU (5)

Following this general pattern I like to use noble hops from dough in to and including the (30) and then tiny quatities of high alpha for the (15) and (5). If you like Firestone-Walker's APA this general concept will be near the mark, though you will be into your Centennial before you get through (30).

If you don't like the F-W APA, don't do this.

If you want use all of those I would go for an IPA. I would add a little to the grainbill as well. Maybe something like this...

10lbs 2 row
1/2lb Crystal 40
1/2lb Carapils
1/2lb Corn Sugar

1/2oz Mt. Hood FWH
1/2oz Warrior at 60
1/2oz Summit at 45
1/2oz Tettnang at 15
1/2oz Centennial at 10
1/2oz Liberty at 5
1/2oz Centennial at FO

I would even go as far as buying some more Centennial and maybe Liberty to Dry hop with. This should give you about a 1.069 OG,assuming 75% eff. and about 89 IBU's, very hoppy. Might even be a good idea to take out a bittering addition, or up the grain bill to balance it a little more. I've never used Warrior or Summit before, but those bittering additions alone will provide 63 IBU's. :mug:

Latest posts

Back