Please Chime in if you use a HERMS/RIMS system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
Hey guys-- I'm really trying to decide if I want to do a HERMS/RIMS now or if I want to wait a year or so to make the plunge.

Obviously you enjoy your HERMS/RIMS -- but was it something that really made your brewing that much more enjoyable? And how much did it actually improve your beer? My money is going towards Homebrewing regardless, but it's looking like I'm either going to go HERMS or start building a bar -- and I'm thinking the bar may be more enjoyable.

Thanks for future input!
:mug:

Having my RIMS made brewing more enjoyable because......

I don't have to watch the thermometer anymore. I know that my PLC will control the heat to within ±2°F.

Brewing gadgets = Brewing Fun (YRMV)

Having a HERMS makes brewing much more fun...

The beer may not be better, but it is REPEATABLE...

I set my temps and forget it... an hour later I reset the temp control and it mashes out for me. I dont look at the thermometer, I dont mess with burners and propane... I dont do ANYTHING after mash in except swap one hose to sparge (which is hands off too).

On every brew on my HERMS to date I have held my mash temp to within .5F... that is +/-.25F as recorded by my mash thermometer that runs through the wall of my MLT.

It was worth it in my mind. No, it doesnt save me money on beer, but it allows me to have complete control over the process and repeat the brew again and again with ultimate control over the variables.

Latest posts

Back