Yeast Washing FAIL: Read the above thread after washing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StinkyVp

Dictator
Reaction score
So I messed up on at least two things. I had lots of headspace and didn't refrigerate (yet). It's been a week at room temp. I won't brew until next weekend which will be two weeks after.

Should I trash them and start over next time? Is there anything I can salvage?

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Okay I'll put them all in the fridge and try and get stuff to make starter next week. I've never made one before. Is there any chance I can pitch one of those big ones without making a starter or is the yeast just too dead?

Okay I'll put them all in the fridge and try and get stuff to make starter next week. I've never made one before. Is there any chance I can pitch one of those big ones without making a starter or is the yeast just too dead?

I wouldn't with all the extra variables involved. Make a starter. It is super easy and good practice. It lets you know your yeast are good.

Yup do a starter and then give it the smell and taste test before you toss it into your beer. If things are not smelling or tasting good dump it and toss some dry yeast.

I think you might be ok though.

Okay thanks. How about I shake up the 2 smallest ones and fill up the other three and put in fridge? Then I'll have a chance to make 3 starters I guess. I got this from a total of 3 5gal batches that I racked to secondary the same day.

Okay thanks. How about I shake up the 2 smallest ones and fill up the other three and put in fridge? Then I'll have a chance to make 3 starters I guess. I got this from a total of 3 5gal batches that I racked to secondary the same day.

Did you sterilize the water and jars before you put the stuff in. I ask because I get all my yeast from a brewery and once I forgot to sterilize the bottle before I gave it to them. Man you do not want to pitch infected yeast. A 5 dollar yeast pack is wayyy cheaper than a ruined batch of beer and buying a new bucket.

Just saying proceed with care

Yep jars and water was boiled and cooled. Would I be better off just putting the whole lot in the fridge like it is?

Yep jars and water was boiled and cooled. Would I be better off just putting the whole lot in the fridge like it is?

Go ahead and put them in the fridge but take one and try it as a starter. I have kept them on the counter for a few days before and been alright. And a few months in the fridge and been alright.

Bottom line is if you are in doubt do not toss it in your beer. Smell it and even take a sanitized spoon and taste it. I still think you are fine but do a starter first for sure

I'm going to go against the collective wisdom here and say that you are probably fine straight pitching the yeast.

We cultivate yeast from bottles, many of which have sat around at room temperatures for months, occasionally years.

Yeast survives fine in starters and fermenters for weeks at room temperatures.

Yes, the viability goes down, but not much. Not having alcohol reduces the protection f=rom contamination, but of you sanitized well, you should be fine.

If you are confident in your sanitation procedures (containers and water), just drain off the water and straight pitch.

I'm going to go against the collective wisdom here and say that you are probably fine straight pitching the yeast.

We cultivate yeast from bottles, many of which have sat around at room temperatures for months, occasionally years.

Yeast survives fine in starters and fermenters for weeks at room temperatures.

Yes, the viability goes down, but not much. Not having alcohol reduces the protection f=rom contamination, but of you sanitized well, you should be fine.

If you are confident in your sanitation procedures (containers and water), just drain off the water and straight pitch.

Hell Yeah!!!! Now that's what I wanted to hear!! :ban: :mug: :rockin:

I'm a pretty lazy person so I wanted to save large amounts and pitch without a starter until I get stuff to do starters. I realize that I don't have to have a flask and stirplate to do a starter but I don't have any DME at all but I do have ingredients for another batch of beer.

Thanks.

Before you make a starter, you should decant off the liquid above the yeast from the mason jar, no sense in throwing that in.

Got it. Thanks. I just combined the two smallest and have 3 almost full of liquid and a pretty good bit of yeast each. It smelled about the same as it did when I harvested it. I put them in the fridge.

Okay I didn't make a starter and pitched the two smallest jars into 5.5 gals of 1.031 wort. I took them out of the fridge and poured off the water/beer and let them warm up closer to pitch time I put them in some warm water. I shook them up and pitched. This morning the airlock was full and bubbling over and the lid was about to blow off. When I poured off the excess liquid it smelled really good. I think with a little tweaking that this process will work fine. I'm guessing I could go with about half of what I used next time.

Back