1st time w/ salts, Plz check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmo88

Reaction score
I never adjusted my water, which is soft, for the mash before. I am brewing an Avery Old Jubilation clone tomorrow and have calculated my salts for the mash according to palmer's excel sheet. Since this is my first time I am not sure I did it right. I based the additions on SRM of 25 and a balanced chloride to sulfate ratio.

1st my water profile:

Calcium(Ca): 17.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 1.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 4.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 2.0 ppm
Bicarbonate(HCO3): 18.0 ppm
PH: 7.8 PH

2nd my additions:

2grams of gypsum
2grams of calcium choride
1gram of Baking Soda

Also, I bought 5.2 stabalizer in case I am off a bit. Just for peace of mind.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and criticisms of this...

Good! Great! Grand! Wonderful! that's a perfect plan. and how much water will you be putting these salts into?

Ha! I knew I omitted something. I am mashing 16 lbs in 5gl

Still grand, great, and wonderful?

I've brewed about 140 all grain batches with soft water and haven't added any extra salts at all. For my tastes, its great.

I've brewed about 140 all grain batches with soft water and haven't added any extra salts at all. For my tastes, its great.

me too. But that's the art of brewing, always in the pursuit of perfection. my water is damn near distilled, unless I brew pilsner, I'm not going to be brewing better beer without the salts.

You should prepare 10 gallons of water for a 5 gallon batch so that you can account for the water retained in the mash and loss to the boil. If you're targetting a particular water profile, add enough salts to bring the total 10 gallons to your target profile.

cheers,

Back