How much priming sugar in 24oz bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xenomaniac

Reaction score
Pretty straight forward question that I can't seem to find a straight answer. I have a Oktoberfest brew that is ready to bottle. Problem is, the bottles I want to use are 24oz. My chart says for 22oz bottles, use 1 1/2 tsp. My guess is use 1 3/4 tsp for 24oz bottles? The bottles I got are the beugel type so putting too much sugar in those would be a disaster and too little wouldn't be enough carbonation to actually enjoy.

If you need more info please let me know.

Prime the entire batch in the bottling bucket, then fill bottles from that. Using volume measure for priming sugar will get you into trouble. If you don't already have a decent scale to use, GET ONE. You can get them for extremely cheap money these days (easily found for under $15).

Unless you don't care about having either too little carbonation, far too much carbonation, bottle bombs, etc... Anything worth doing is worth doing right. This is one of the steps where trying to cut corners, or shave time, WILL come back to bite you, hard.

Guess I should have mentioned I'm using the Mr. Beer brewing kit (last batch I'm making till I get my 5 gallon kit in the mail). They don't come with a bottling bucket.

Could I siphon the beer out, clean out the fermentation keg and use that as a 'bottling bucket?'

Could I siphon the beer out, clean out the fermentation keg and use that as a 'bottling bucket?'

You could, but each time you rack you increase the risks of contamination, infection, oxidization, etc. IMO, better off just racking one time. If it's a ~5 gallon batch (5 gallons into the fermenting vessel) then a 5 gallon bucket will suffice. You can even pick up a HD/Lowe's PET bucket to use (under $3) if you don't have a bakery near you. Get the spigot and such and bottle up the batch that way. Your chances of getting consistent carbonation is greatly increased with this method. Especially if you weigh the priming sugar addition (after using one of the online calculators to get how much to use).

BTW, it's not difficult to install the spigot. You just need a drill and step bit. Or just order up a bottling bucket from one of the online vendors if you can't get to a LHBS with one.

I usually use mine to hold spare hardware now. I use my old ale pail to catch grain from my mill, since there's no way I'll ferment in the evil thing. :eek: :D

I have a 5 gallon kit coming any day now in the mail and it's coming with a carbonation bucket. I'm sure a couple more days of fermentation can wait.

Most of the time, a few more weeks won't make any difference. Well, other than the beer being ready to drink sooner (less conditioning time, just carbonation time). Don't fall into the trap of most new brewers that rush their early batches through due to the instructions provided (notorious for being poor for time frames).

Build up a decent pipeline early so that you can give batches the time they need to become great.

Just answer the question
yes 1 3/4 tsp of dextrose is perfect for 24oz bottles.
bottling buckets can lead to infections and oxidation for new brewers.
A sugar scoop is an easy reproduceable way to carbonate beer, and it doesn't lead to bottle bombs or random carbonation.

Latest posts

Back