How to clean a carboy????? HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
Ok I am a newbie when it comes to carboy brewing. This will be my first cleaning of a caked up carboy. (was using a Mr Beer kit) What is the best method of getting them as clean as possible??? How does everyone do this??? :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

I use PBW or Oxyclean, fill it half way up with HOT water. I got a screw-on cap for my 6.5 gallon carboy (the neck is threaded).. and I leave it upside down overnight.. by morning the ring of kreusen is gone. I leave the keg right side up to clean any smeg off the bottom, dump it all out and rinse with hot water and then cold water.

The only time I've scrubbed my carboy is when there was visible smeg that the pbw/oxyclean didn't remove.

In my experience, it's best to clean as soon as possible, to prevent further drying and caking. That said, when I do have a caked on situation, I start by filling the carboy with plain water, a long soak works wonders. If I'm in a hurry or the previous step wasn't enough, I have added bleach. This always works. I recall using about 3 capfulls. Make sure when working with the bleach solution that you put on work clothes. When you pull out the carboy brush, you can't help but spray bleach-water all over the place.
Good luck

George said:
In my experience...When you pull out the carboy brush, you can't help but spray bleach-water all over the place.

TIP: Place a towel over the top of the carboy and brush when you pull it out so the bleach water doesn't spray all over you and your clothes.

Of course, I have a "special" set of sweats I wear when brewing so if I ruin them it's OK.

Always soak / clean everything ASAP (already mentioned). Beer is mostly sugar water so the sooner you soak it the easier it is to dissolve. :D

If you can't find PBW or your run out, I've found that unscented dishwasher detergent works wonders. It contains most of the same cleaners that PBW has and really does a number on carboy crud.

Prosit!

Back