What's in your fermenter(s)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 3 beers in secondary now with nothing in primaries. 5G double IPA (cold crashing and will keg in the morning tomorrow) red rye ipa, and liberty ale clone.

Weizen Bock in secondary. Mai Bock in Pri. Dunkel Weizen on deck probably for this weekend.

I was so happy to have this problem I wanted to share it on this thread. I finally have the problem where I am ready to transfer my imperial IPA to the secondary but I have run out of fermenters. Here's what I've got.
Primary:
Imperial IPA
Dead Ringer IPA (northern brewer)

Secondary:
Simple dry mead
Barley wine

Keg:
American S.M.S.H. Ale

The mead has been resting for 5 months so I figure I will bottle that so I can dry hop an IPA before I keg it. This isn't such a bad problem to have.

I was so happy to have this problem I wanted to share it on this thread. I finally have the problem where I am ready to transfer my imperial IPA to the secondary but I have run out of fermenters. Here's what I've got.
Primary:
Imperial IPA
Dead Ringer IPA (northern brewer)

Secondary:
Simple dry mead
Barley wine

Keg:
American S.M.S.H. Ale

The mead has been resting for 5 months so I figure I will bottle that so I can dry hop an IPA before I keg it. This isn't such a bad problem to have.

Sounds like not enough chairs in church. That's a good problem.

10 gal. rye ale pitched yesterday
10 gal. Edmond Fitzgerald pitched 8 days ago
10 gal. imperial stout aging in secondary

90 Min IPA Clone currently Dry Hopping
Belgian Tripel in Primary
Dead Ringer (Northern Brewer Two Hearted Clone) Bottle Conditioning

About to brew up a Sculpin Clone

Just yesterday I put up a one-gallon batch of an experimental brown ale that uses stale bread as an adjunct.

The bread comes from a local food bank where I volunteer; after the bread is too old to give away and otherwise destined for the dumpster, I will bring a couple loaves home and sock them in the freezer 'til brew day. Yesterday I did my first experiment with mashing bread. I mashed the barley and the bread separately, so as to be able to discard the bread brew if need be without destroying the whole batch. I cut the bread into slices (it was a bakery sourdough) and put the pieces in a spaghetti pot with about a half-teaspoon of alpha amylase and about two quarts of water. I got the temp up to between 140 and 150 and kept it there while I proceed to mash the remainder of the beer, which was two pounds of two-row and about two ounces each of caramel 20 and 60. From time to time I would taste the liquid from the beer pot, and almost throughout the process it did not show any sign of sweetness; only near the end of a 90-minute mash did it start to show hints of extracted sugar.

The spaghetti pot's integral strainer made it easy to get the soggy bread out of the bread pot. What was left was white, cloudy, and tasted mostly like bread with just a little sweetness. My barley mash had come out just as it should, so in the interest of science I crossed my fingers and poured the two worts together for the boil. Three additions of a half-ounce each of Goldings were spread evenly through the hour-long boil, and when I was done I actually had to add some water back to bring my volume up to a gallon. Oh... I wasn't happy with the flavor of the wort going in, so on the fly I added a half-cup of table sugar and two tablespoons of brown.

I pitched a half-pint starter of Nottingham, installed the airlock, and went to bed. By morning it was bubbling along purposefully. When I got it all into the fermenter, with starter and water to volume, OG was about 1.080.

I have decided to call it "The Sheriff's Brown Bitter," because it is made with Nottingham yeast and the bread of the needy.

Black IPA
Smoked Dubbel
Chocolate Milk Stout
Cranberry Ginger Weizen
Imperial Pale Ale

All 5 gallons

F1: Orange Pale Ale

F2: Porter

F3: 90 Min Brown Ale

F4: Belgium Style Wheat Ale

Orange pale ale sounds great for summer, have you made it before? Do you have a recipe you like and are willing to share? Cheers......

Back for the first time in years (due to kids) and just go an American dampfbier (traditional set-up + juuuuust enough simcoe hops to make things interesting) going. Hope it'll be good enough to get me rolling again.

Edit: simcoe is one hell of a hop. Used less than half an ounce for bittering and had plently left for late additions as well along with the poor overwhelmed hallertau. The stuff in the fermenter has a wonderful grapefruit smell without being too bitter and is bubbling along nicely. Looking forward to it.

Sadly, mine are all just emptied, waiting for retiree payday to get the new recipes going for Whiskely & Burton ales. Gotta do those updates for book two of my home brewing adventures.

Hefeweissen. First time extract, besides starters. Days 1 & 2

0326151127.jpg

0326152014.jpg

5 gallons of chocolate coffee bourbon imperial stout in secondary
6 gallons of a citra cascade IPA in primary

Back