American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just do it! No but serious now. The best part about home brewing is being able to make the same beer multiple times, or never again. I need to brew some more pale ale.

Yep, and this beer is easy to replicate and get consistent results once you have your system down pat.

My beer now has been in the primary for 9 days and I did something I shouldn't of, I tasted the hydro sample. I can't believe how good it tastes and it actually tastes like Pale ale, even though it's still very young and green. I just can't believe how good it tastes. The next month is going to be extremely lonnngggg....;). Someone should invent timer locks for carboys so I can't sneak in there and take another "sample"....:D

Because of the lack of Nottingham, I subbed S-05 on my last batch and it ended up with a FG of 1.005. A lot dryer than I expected. Does S-05 typically finish dryer than Nottingham or could the culprit be a bad thermometer (I believe it's off by a couple of degrees...but I've bought a second one to compare with on my next batch)?

Just took a sample of mine at 9 days in fermenter.
1.008 using S-05 . I think it will be a very tasty brew.
I am planning on using this recipe to nail down my all grain brewing technique and recipe tweaking skills till I get it right where I want it.

I'm going to try this soon..problem is I only have a 5 gallon brew pot. Can I adjust the ingredients down to fit, and it still taste close to the original?

Total Noob here....I tried to read most of the 57 pages of this thread to find the answer..... I swear :D

Sounds like a great brew and I'm looking forward to trying it :mug:

I'm picking up ingredients for this on Sunday, gonna brew sometime next week... But I can't find Crystal 10L, what is a good sub for this? Fawcett Optic Pale Malt ?

I'm going to try this soon..problem is I only have a 5 gallon brew pot. Can I adjust the ingredients down to fit, and it still taste close to the original?

Total Noob here....I tried to read most of the 57 pages of this thread to find the answer..... I swear :D

Sounds like a great brew and I'm looking forward to trying it :mug:

If you're making an extract batch you can do something like a 3 gallon boil. Just remember to adjust the IBU's accordingly. I would also do a late extract edition.

drinking a sample bottle :) after 5 days carb, its only about 1/4 carbed. Taste wonderful, cloudy tho, still waiting for these bottles to condition

I just did 5 gallons of this with a partial mash. Screwed up on a few things:

1. Windsor yeast
2. Mashed hot (~165 f)
3. Fermented slightly warm (~68 f)

Bottled 11 days later. Tastes fantastic :) This may be going to the Halloween party.

I'm going to do it again with s-05 yeast and the correct mash temperature.

Thanks Ed!

If you're making an extract batch you can do something like a 3 gallon boil. Just remember to adjust the IBU's accordingly. I would also do a late extract edition.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to do an All-Grain version to fit in a 5 gal brewpot and carboy. But, I'll consider a PM version if it won't come out right.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to do an All-Grain version to fit in a 5 gal brewpot and carboy. But, I'll consider a PM version if it won't come out right.

Oh, you can do an all grain. I just figured that you didn't have the equipment since your brewpot is only 5 gallons.

Well Ed, now you've done it. Because of you, I'm going to have to do my first 10 gallon batch. SHMBO and I are sailing through my keg of the Haus Pale and she says that I need to get another batch going ASAP and asks if there's any way I could do a bigger batch. I said, sure, my pot is big enough to do a ten gallon batch, so it wouldn't be that much more work to do a double batch.

I just have a 5 gallon cooler MLT right now, but I have a 40 qt. Ice Cube that I've been planning to convert at some point. Looks like I'll be doing that soon.

Thanks Ed! :D

Would you all classify this as a session beer? I am trying to find good session recipes and this looks great!

Wish there was a real extract version, not partial mash :(

Here you go. You need to sub Munich LME for the Vienna and steep the Crystal 10L This can be purchased at Austin Homebrew supply. Here's the details that I have looked up.

HausExtractRecipe.jpg

It will be pretty close. Do a full boil and follow the same hop schedule. Here's the details I've calculated.

Based on 6.5 gallons boiled down to 5.5 gallons

OG: 1.051
FG: 1.013
IBU: 38
ABV: 4.9 %
SRM: 6

Let me know how it turns out if you make it.

Thanks for the quick response.. I feel kinda bad for not trying any other member recipes but it seems I can't go wrong with these. And, if it's not good, I can pretty much be sure it is my newbie mistakes.. :)

brewing this one now, 30 minutes to go in the mash tun yet. Smells great, looking forward to the first pint. Thanks for sharing Edwort!

Got a stupid question, for the second batch of 3.5 gallons how long do you keep it in the mash tun? I only kept it in there for about 20 minutes and the gravity coming out of this was next to nothing. I ended up with a post boil OG of 1.040 so I think I should be ok, but just thinking about this for my second AG batch.

The second batch of sparge water I leave in for 5 to 10 minutes, but you have to stir to get the sugars back into solution.

I realize that there could be a number of reasons for this, however do you have any idea why my gravity could be a little low? I didn't miss the mash temps. Mashed at 152 F for 1 hour, and the end of that I lost 2 degrees in my coleman xtreme 70 qt with SS braid. I had a total of 6.5 gallons of pre boil wort, and after the boil I had 5 gallons. My second sparge gravity was practically 1.000 so Im thinking that may be my problem. This was my first AG and any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. One otherthing is that I don't have a barely crusher, I bought the grains crushed 8 days before my brew day, I kept it in plastic bags in the fridge up untill brew day, could this effect effeciency?
Thanks!

I realize that there could be a number of reasons for this, however do you have any idea why my gravity could be a little low? I didn't miss the mash temps. Mashed at 152 F for 1 hour, and the end of that I lost 2 degrees in my coleman xtreme 70 qt with SS braid. I had a total of 6.5 gallons of pre boil wort, and after the boil I had 5 gallons. My second sparge gravity was practically 1.000 so Im thinking that may be my problem. This was my first AG and any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. One otherthing is that I don't have a barely crusher, I bought the grains crushed 8 days before my brew day, I kept it in plastic bags in the fridge up untill brew day, could this effect effeciency?
Thanks!

The crush does affect the efficiency. When you sparge are you stirring it and letting it sit for about 10 minutes to get the entire mess fluid again? I wasn't letting it sit for a few batches and my efficiency sucked bad. Well, it still does. But, it's gotten better.

I found it 1.040. If my calculations are right that's around 53% efficiency? That is pretty bad. I wouldn't worry about it much. First AG brew won't be perfect. and it sounds like you did everything else right. Look on the bright side. It will be more drinkable, hoppier, and you'll be able to drink more of them! However, you might want to invest in a BC. I probably will be taking the plunge soon too.

Could I just +2lbs of 2 row to increase my OG next time?

I'd suggest just keeping a bit of DME on hand and use that to bring up your OG if it's low. If you add 2lbs grain and you get better efficiency you could end up with a higher gravity than anticipated. I’ve had to do this once for an IPA, just plugged the numbers into beersmith and it told me how much to add to achieve the proper gravity. That was my best beer to date.

Could I increase the time in the mash tun to 90 minutes, from what I've read, doing so would just allow more time for fermentables to get introduced into the wort.

Could I increase the time in the mash tun to 90 minutes, from what I've read, doing so would just allow more time for fermentables to get introduced into the wort.

You probably won't see too much improvement (not from 53% to say 70%). I'd keep that DME around, and checkout ways to improve your efficiency.

EdWort - After trying your Apfelwein recipe I have decided I am going to try your pale ale recipe as my first all grain brew. I have spent some time scanning the pages to look for an answer to my question so I apologize if it has come up before. Is there a reason you ad 5 qts of water before your first vorlauf other than to achieve a specific volume before you sparge? If that is the only reason, could you just add the extra 5 qts at the beginning? Thanks.

EdWort - After trying your Apfelwein recipe I have decided I am going to try your pale ale recipe as my first all grain brew. I have spent some time scanning the pages to look for an answer to my question so I apologize if it has come up before. Is there a reason you ad 5 qts of water before your first vorlauf other than to achieve a specific volume before you sparge? If that is the only reason, could you just add the extra 5 qts at the beginning? Thanks.

I helps to lighten the viscosity if you add some hot water to mash out. It's also what I calculated at the time for what the grain would absorb.

Well, we were up till 3am, but we did it....

DSCN3150.jpg

Our first All Grain brew. :mug:

The OG came out a little higher than target at 1.062. Maybe because we used the full 10lb bag of 2 row instead of 8lb. :confused:

No biggie...I'm sure it will still turn out fine....

The process was definitely longer than expected, and I won't be starting one of these brews at 7:30pm on a Friday anymore :cross:

I don't know why I did a AG for my second brew....But, I enjoyed the learning process.

Thanks EdWort for the great recipe! And HBT for helping with this Brewing addiction of mine.

Just rocked out a batch of my slightly mutated version:

8 lbs 2 row, 2 lbs Vienna, 1 lb Crystal 20*, half oz Nugget @ 60, half oz Centennial @ 30, half oz Cascade @ 5, Notty yeast.

4:15 from start to cleaned up... That's with an hour boil, and an hour mash. I'm efficient when nobody else is here, lol....

Anyway, made the above mods because I like a slightly darker pale... may up it to 40* next time, and I have a plethora of Nugget and Centennial leafs.

I think I'll dry hop this batch with an ounce of Cascade as well. A nice dose of my favorite hop can't hurt, eh?

I just brewed it, my FG came in at 1.46 a touch low, not sure why I thought I adjusted for my system. Looks like a mill in in my future for sure now. smells great however and I am sure it will be ok in the end, wort is a bit on the hoppy side, not a bad problem for sure :)
Mike

Think this would turn out alright if it were to by dry-hopped with a 1/2oz Centennial and a 1/2oz of Cascade on a 5gallon batch?

I've got a little leftovers and figured it might add a nice touch.

Back