More newbie questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooMooBrew

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

So i went to COSTCO last Monday and picked up 20 gallons of their branded juice, didn't take an OG reading, and mixed up 10 gallons of Apfelwein with 4lb corn sugar and 4 rehydrated packs of red star montrachet, 10 gallons of cider with 2 vials of WLP001. 4 total carboys.

It has been bubbling away (wlp001 was actually quite violent, reminded me of wlp300) for a week and change and ive been trying to figure out what to do with all this cider, as all my kegs are full at the moment.

My intention is to force carbonate in kegs (as they become available :drunk:) and bottle for aging (at some point).

Questions i have for the experts/experienced folks:

Any idea what COSTCO's juice's OG typically is?
How long to leave in primary? (i'm looking for the upper acceptable limit, maybe 4 weeks?)
Is a secondary necessary?
When is the fermentation complete?
Given my yeasts, would cold crashing help to clear it up? (The red star is quite cloudy)
Should i keg these and batch age, if so for how long?
I'm planning to let these sit in my wine cellar, any tips for storage?

I don't secondary.

I leave in the primary for 8-12 weeks. It seems to bubble for 2- 4 then clear up.

Wow, that is a long time. no off flavors from decaying yeast?

What are the details of your creations jaycount?

Nope, no signs of autolysis here.

I've done the original apfelwein before. Last night I kegged some cranapfelwein, it has lactose and cranberry juice concentrate in it. Very good stuff.

Back