Need some advice on my system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwmiscik

Reaction score
Ive been brewing in a 15.5G keggle that I use as my hlt and bk and using a cooler as my mash tun. I recently aquired a new keg but its a european keg and is 13.5G. My questiong is what does everyone think? Should I use this smaller keg as my boil kettle so i can do ten gallons of high gravity brews and use my 15.5G keggle as my new mash tun? Or should I mash in the 13.5G keg. I normally do ten gallon batches and never need more then 12.5G in the kettle to hit ten gallons and that is at the most.

With only a gallon to spare, you'd be cutting it close as a kettle. You'd have to really watch for boilovers.

Have you thought about the HLT? I've never had more than 12 gallons in my HLT at once when doing 10 gallon batches.

You would be better off using the euro-keg as your MLT and reserving the regular Sanke for your BK. At 15.5 gal, I have had boil-overs in mine with 10 gal batches, so 13.5 would be really cutting it close in my opinion.

I'd use the euro keg as a fermenter and find another keg for bk or mlt. I have to be difficult !

eventually it will be my hot liquor tank when I set up my herms but for now im relying on just my two vessel system until i get my hands on one more keg. Im honestly leaning towards using as my bk for now because i only need 11.5 gallons in the kettle to end up with ten gallons in the fermenter after boil off and cold break.

Back