Any Square Fermentor Options besides vittles vaults?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd-santaclarita

Reaction score
Hi All,
I recently acquired a little wine fridge with the plans of getting the 13gal vittles vault for doing 10 gal batches and fitting it nicely in the wine fridge for fermenting. When doing some research on the vittles vaults I found out they are a pain in the neck because the gamma seal is a bit tricky to get to seal right and they are almost impossible to clean the inside of the seal because you cant get to it, etc...Bummer. That messes up my plans because I believe the biggest round bucket fermentor that will fit is the 7.5 gal one (not 100% sure on that). Was wondering if there are any good square/rectangle shaped options out there that would maximize fridge space and providing more fermentation volume overall?

Thanks all,
JD

What about some large food container that restaurants use? I guess you'd have to go to a restaurant supply place to check them out or order online.

Just speculating...

A 15.5 gallon sanke keg will fit in most standard top freezer type fridges and are a great size for fermenting 10 gallon batches. It may also fit in a wine fridge. Depends on the size.

When doing some research on the vittles vaults I found out they are a pain in the neck because the gamma seal is a bit tricky to get to seal right and they are almost impossible to clean the inside of the seal because you cant get to it, etc...Bummer.

Been using VV for many years. Here's a couple tips...

The "gamma ring" can be removed by soaking it in near-boiling water for a few seconds and then the ring peels off pretty easy for cleaning. Be careful with the rubber seal underneath - it's not the same material as the lid gasket and tears easily.

I've had a couple VV that just never sealed well under the gamma ring so I removed it, ran a small bead of silicone around the lip, let it dry completely and then snapped the ring back on. Worked great.

I started thinking...I wonder if a stainless trash can may work? The lid would have to be fabricated, maybe a piece of plexiglass or even a bit more ghetto with saran wrap on the top secured on the sides with a big rubber band or bungee, etc. Thoughts?

Thanks,
JD

Aquatainers in the camping section of Wal-Mart. They are 7gallons and work quite well.

Back