Belgian Wit too dark?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlee0000

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

My first batch of homebrew has been fermenting for two weeks, but it looks wayyy too dark to be a Belgian Wit ale. Is this normal or have I done something wrong? Can I put in any clarifying agents now that it is already fermenting?

Thanks for the help

-Matt

A brew in the fermenter always looks way, way darker than it does in a glass.
Take a sample and check it in a jar or glass.

A brew actually looks darker as it clears.

rack it to secondary and be patient i am sure it will be great:mug: . you says how dark a beer should be or shouldn't be anyway, its all about the taste:D .

good luck

mlee0000 said:
Hey Everyone,

My first batch of homebrew has been fermenting for two weeks, but it looks wayyy too dark to be a Belgian Wit ale. Is this normal or have I done something wrong? Can I put in any clarifying agents now that it is already fermenting?

Thanks for the help

-Matt

It'll end up dark if you did it with extract. DOn't worry, it'll taste OK.

When you check your final gravity, that will be a better indication of the color. It's always darker in the fermenter.

How big of a boil did you do, and did you stir it constantly? Although extract always tends to end up darker than all-grain, it gets even darker if it caramelizes/burns in the pot during the boil. A better pot, larger volume of water, and constant stirring reduces this.

chefjosh said:
When you check your final gravity, that will be a better indication of the color. It's always darker in the fermenter.

How big of a boil did you do, and did you stir it constantly? Although extract always tends to end up darker than all-grain, it gets even darker if it caramelizes/burns in the pot during the boil. A better pot, larger volume of water, and constant stirring reduces this.

After reading about late DME additions, I did them on my last two brews and noticed a HUGE difference in the color and taste. I highly recomend waiting until the last 10 minutes to add you *ME.

homebrewer_99 said:
Do we have another convert here???:D

Not any longer! I'm about this > < close to being All Grain ready. I need to drill my kettle, slot my manifold, test everything and then it's on to brew. I might make a Depot run at lunch for a grinding wheel for my drill and some cutting oil.

Back