Which keg for force carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfbf

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I currently have a king keg and although it can carbonate beer quite well, it does not seem to allow enough pressure. As the safety value just goes off.

I am looking a doing quite a lot of force carbing and then botteling. Thinking maybe metal kegs could be the way forward?

I have a little bottler which is not that great so think I am going to go for one like the sticky topic. So what keg and co2 would I need for that? Take I could not use my s30 canister?

So

1) Which kegs are best (im in UK) metal the way forward?
2) What parts do I need to make a beer gun as in the sticky, will any keg work?

Cornelius Kegs (Ball or Pin lock) are the way to go. I use both 3 and 5 gallon kegs with a 5lb CO2 bottle for carbing and dispensing. The setup looks similar to the picture below. It works great.

kegsystem2p_thumbnail.jpg

I'm in the stats, so not much help in recommending a supplier in the UK.

Cheers for the reply,

Does a Cornelius keg have the same connections as a standard pub keg?

I can find a keg for sale, a co2 tank. I am sturugeling with the other parts. I take a regulator is needed, a tap and connecting tubes. Do they have technical names that would make them easier to find? is there anything else I will need for kegging?

Generally a pub keg is going to be a Sankey and will have a connection like this one.

Cornelius kegs mostly either have pin-lock or ball-lock type connectors for gas and dispensing. You'll need a pair of disconnects (one gas and one dispense) for each keg (either pin or ball lock depending on the keg you buy). You'll also need a CO2 regulator for the tank. If you can't get one from your LHBS, you may be able to find one at a welding supply store. You don't necessarily need a pub-style tap, unless you want one. I use picnic taps, which are basically just a tube with the tap at the end.

Here's a good example of what you'll need.

kegsystem.jpg

All this seems to total £250 :O does it cost $350 in the US? Or am I just looking in the wrong place...

I didn't buy mine all at once, but my LHBS sells a kits. This one is $227 USD.

# Dual Guage Regulator
# New 5# CO2 bottle (empty)
# Two Used 5 gallon Corny kegs (may have labels)
# 15 feet of Thick Wall Gas Line
# Two Picnic Taps and Dispensing Hoses with regular barbed beer disconnects
# Gas disconnects with MFL threaded barbs

Keep in mind, the kegs in this kit are used soda kegs, so not new. My LHBS has a lot of kegging supplies. Check out this link to see their kits. Their prices seem pretty fair, but I haven't really shopped. Since they're local, there's no shipping for me when buying from them.

I didn't buy mine all at once, but my LHBS sells a kits. This one is $227 USD.

# Dual Guage Regulator
# New 5# CO2 bottle (empty)
# Two Used 5 gallon Corny kegs (may have labels)
# 15 feet of Thick Wall Gas Line
# Two Picnic Taps and Dispensing Hoses with regular barbed beer disconnects
# Gas disconnects with MFL threaded barbs

Keep in mind, the kegs in this kit are used soda kegs, so not new. My LHBS has a lot of kegging supplies. Check out this link to see their kits. Their prices seem pretty fair, but I haven't really shopped. Since they're local, there's no shipping for me when buying from them.
Cheers, ye there kits seem good, just need to find someone like them in the UK :)

Thanks for your help

You should be able to find used Cornelius kegs in Europe. I have a Cornelius keg made in Germany so they should be out there. ( it actually says west Germany so you know it's pretty old )

Back