oxy. barrier caps won't seal for me.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyp

Reaction score
This is the first time I have used those oxygen barrier caps. I was bottling a big belgian that I will let age for several months. I was using recycled piraat bottles and brand new 12oz. long necks. On the first 10 or so bottles the caps would not seal. Looked as if they were on crooked and you could actually twist them around with your hand! I was using a brand new agata bench capper. After those first 10 bottles I went and got some regular caps and they worked perfectly. It seemed that the oxy caps were not big enough around to fit down over either type of bottle. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
randyp

I've had the problem with those caps seeming not to be sealed too. I can often rotate the caps. Usually after they start carbonating a little I can't spin them anymore and I've never had a problem with a bottle not holding pressure. BTW, I also use the Super Agata. Not sure what to say about the caps looking crooked, but as long as they don't rotate too easily I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Back