Can base grain be bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The grain did mash kind of funky. Just that when it got into the the fermentor, it was orange and cloudy, more than normally. Not like the typical look of the 2-row I've used in the past. Maybe the grain is partly to blame. I'm getting a new chiller though, if that could be the cause of infection, it's gone.

I do boil the chiller for 15 minutes. And I clean and sanitize everything on the cold side with Iodophor...

I'm using different grain next time also, this Sunday, we'll see...

Here is the chiller after a vinegar and water boil for 15 minutes...It doesn't seem much better to me. I picked up the other chiller in the picture for not too bad of a price, but it seems too small in diameter for a keggle. Any thoughts on this?

I forgot to post pix. Here they are..

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

sour mustard sounds like lacto infection. the last hop addition is suspicious. your hops could definitely have carried some bugs into your cooling wort. hops aren't germicidal, though some may disagree.dry hop in secondary after the pH has dropped and theres some alcohol content. you'll get more aroma this way anyhow.

I would tend to agree with this. I only use a 25' chiller and after 20 minutes im below 100F.

Put the chiller in with 15 left in your boil and add your last hop addition no later than immediately before you turn off the heat and start chilling. the few moments of 200F= temps will sterilize any beasties in the hops.

There is nothing wrong with your old chiller. if its clean, its good. copper oxides, but the green stuff that forms on it is not good to put in your beer.

And like stated before, make sure that you have plenty of sanitizer around to throw cold side items in. I love Iodophor.

Back