Solved my head retention problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
Turns out my beer has great head after all; I was just using the wrong type of glass. I was using a wide mouthed, pop type glass you would find in a restaurant; the kind with a shoulder and flared mouth. I put my cream ale into a straight walled glass and I had plenty of head and it lasted a long time. Who would have thought your glass affects your beer. I just thought it was a matter of style.

On to the question,

I have brewed a Belgian Abby Ale. Do I need one of those goblet type glasses? What does that do for you? I cannot afford a bunch of glassware.

Yep. I recently brewed an American Amber with massive head retention - in a pint glass. In a wide mouthed tulip glass, it was just the right amount. I think accumulating glassware is one of the best parts of this hobby.

Speaking of... the goblet needs to have those little "notches" at the bottom to release carbonation and release head. Keep that in mind if you are purchasing one. But I think you are cool with any "flared in" sort of glass - brandy snifter would work great, for example. Something to capture the aroma, which in turn will enhance the flavor as you drink.

BTW - GREAT place for glassware - go to your local thrift store. I found a Duvel tulip glass for $1, plus numerous pint glasses and other glassware. Just make sure to shop somewhere with a really big selection. You won't regret it!

BTW - GREAT place for glassware - go to your local thrift store. I found a Duvel tulip glass for $1, plus numerous pint glasses and other glassware. Just make sure to shop somewhere with a really big selection. You won't regret it!

Oh, that's a good idea, I'm going to check out the ones around here to see if I can find something.

It seriously is! You will not believe what you will find. If nothing else, you should be able to get a brandy snifter, flute glass or something similar.

4 flip top bottles at my local thrift store for 3.95 even. they were clear but im planing on painting them, and they were too cheap to pass up.

Back