Devil May Cry (10.10.10 Edition) - Official Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyangler18

Reaction score
[size=+2]Devil May Cry (10.10.10 Edition)[/size]
[size=+1]16-E Belgian Specialty Ale[/size]
Author: Jason Konopinski
Date: 3/30/09

Size: 6.0 gal
Efficiency: 70%
Attenuation: 90%
Calories: 329.61 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.100 (1.026 - 1.120)
|====================#===========|
Terminal Gravity: 1.010 (0.995 - 1.035)
|==============#=================|
Color: 6.91 (1.0 - 50.0)
|=========#======================|
Alcohol: 11.97% (2.5% - 14.5%)
|====================#===========|
Bitterness: 51.8 (0.0 - 100.0)
|================#===============|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
17.5 lb Pilsner Malt
10 oz Belgian Munich
10 oz White Wheat Malt
3.0 lb White Table Sugar (Sucrose)
1.0 oz Galena (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 90 min
1 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1.0 ea White Labs WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:03:00 Dough In - Liquor: 5.97 gal; Strike: 161.97 °F; Target: 149 °F
01:33:00 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 90 min; Final: 147.3 °F
02:03:00 Lautering - First Runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 145 °F, 10 min; Sparge #1: 1.85 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 10.0 min; Sparge #2: 1.85 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 10.0 min; Total Runoff: 7.61 gal

[size=+1]Notes[/size]
This recipe is based on Vinnie Cilurzo's Golden Strong in BLaM.

Tweaked proportions slightly, used US Goldings (5.0% AA). Tentatively named "Devil May Cry'

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3[/size]

Thanks for the clean thread! Looking forward to brewing this in a few weeks.

Thanks for the recipe! What temp did this ferment at, and what is the recommended aging time?

No problem!

Looking back at my original notes, I pitched at 65° and allowed fermentation to ramp up naturally to nearly 80° when using WL570.

The Wyeast 3739-PC Flanders Golden Ale has a similar range (64° - 80°) so I will follow the same fermentation schedule.

Semi off topic: I'm wanting to brew a Belgian Pale Ale to ramp up my yeast, any ideas for a good recipe? These are the first belgians I've ever done BTW, so any help is much appreciated.

Semi off topic: I'm wanting to brew a Belgian Pale Ale to ramp up my yeast, any ideas for a good recipe? These are the first belgians I've ever done BTW, so any help is much appreciated.

For another recommendation, you might try A ProMash Recipe - The Jamil Show - Belgian Pale Ale. I brewed it with the Wyeast Flanders Golden Ale strain and though it's still in primary, the hydro samples tasted wonderful. It made me want to dip some pint glasses in and drink it from primary. If you're using this yeast, be prepared for some great smells coming from primary. I fermented at a steady 66 degrees to keep the yeast happy and healthy for the 10.10.10.

I'll be doing a 5 gal. batch in a 6 gal. carboy just to try and prevent too much (if any) blowoff. I hate to get too much blowoff with top-cropping yeasts because you lose so much yeast. I need to start top-cropping these strains instead of just washing them...hmmmm...this might be a good time to learn how and do an experiment: Brew the BPA, top-crop a bunch of yeast, then wash the remaining cake...then brew two versions of Devil May Cry with the yeast from the two methods. I plan to do two versions anyway.

Was going to get a sack of Castle Pils for this but my OHBS just ran out!:mad: So mine will have to do with Weyermann Bohemian Pils. Oh the humanity.:D

What about this beer is pushing it out of 18D and into 16E?

Is it just .05 gravity points and 20 IBU? 20 IBU I could see, but bittering with Galena I would think that 20 IBU could hide pretty well under that almost 12% abv.

Not criticizing, just asking because if I made this beer and were to enter it into a comp I'd go with 18D.

Good choice on the WLP570. I love that yeast. I use it in most of my Belgians.

What about this beer is pushing it out of 18D and into 16E?

Is it just .05 gravity points and 20 IBU? 20 IBU I could see, but bittering with Galena I would think that 20 IBU could hide pretty well under that almost 12% abv.

Not criticizing, just asking because if I made this beer and were to enter it into a comp I'd go with 18D.
The gravity, ABV and IBUs all push it pretty well out of guidelines - in BTP, only. I would have no problem entering it as 18D, personally - because it is just that; I just don't like seeing all that red on the nice pretty recipe report. :D

Since this is a nice clean, new thread, could someone summarize the process for us who are noobs to beers this big, please?

Here is what I get so far:

• RDWHAHB
  • Don't add the sugar to the boil.
  • Have a big starter (or yeast cake)
  • Use a big bucket and have a blow off!
  • Start fermentation at around 65F; ramp up to 75-80F over the course of a few days
  • Add sugar when fermentation is going strong
  • Carbonate well (3-4 vols)

Remaining Questions:
  • Do I need to boil the sugar up in some water before adding, or just dump it in?
  • Should the sugar be added in one batch, or a pound a day or...?
  • How long to ferment in the primary?
  • Someone mentioned largering, I think... how long, at what temp?
  • How long should this be bottle conditioned?

Thanks!

Those are all good questions.

1) I've read that you can get quite a geyser if you just dump the raw sugar in but that's what I did and didn't get a geyser...however I did get a second blow-off. I would advise against removing your blow-off tube/rig until after you've added the sugar.
2) I added it in increments.
3) At least 3 weeks and prob more. I'm planning a 3-4 week primary...unless convinced otherwise.
4) I plan to keg mine and let it sit at room temp for at least a month. Cold-conditioning at lower temps will depend on where I have room for it.
5) I'll be kegging and then bottling from the keg but I don't really have room to have this keg cold-conditioning for 10 months or more so I'll prob bottle it @ around 5 months.

Start fermentation at around 65F; ramp up to 75-80F over the course of a few days
I'd like to hear more opinions but my plan was to not let the temp ramp up until after I've added all the sugar. Mainly to prevent any geysers or second blow-offs. Also, just letting the temp increase can cause a second blow-off...had that happen once too.

As we say at my job when someone redlines the crap outta something; "Blood all over it".:D

Sounds like you're an engineer :mug:

Why use table sugar? Why not corn sugar? I thought table sugar affected the flavor.

You can use table sugar/corn sugar/any simple sugar up to 20% in Belgian styles without throwing off flavor. It helps dry out the beer which makes these high gravity belgian beers "digestible." Definately wouldn't use that much in an english style, but there are a couple of american styles I wouldn't worry about doing 10% to bring down the FG. I'd certainly recommend it for an extract+steeping grain brewer trying a barley wine or iipa.

Typically, I go with unrefined (sugar in the raw) sugar because it seems like it leaves a little something behind flavorwise.

Typically, I go with unrefined (sugar in the raw) sugar because it seems like it leaves a little something behind flavorwise.

"Sugar in the Raw" is actually a brand name of turbinado (or demerara) sugar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbinado_sugar said:
Turbinado and demerara sugars are the same. United Kingdom recipes tend to call for demerara, while in the United States, they are apt to use the term turbinado.

In the U.S., most turbinado sugar is produced in Hawaii and is often sold as an organic product. The popular Hawaiian product sold in the U.S. is produced on Maui and marketed under the name brand "Sugar in the Raw."

You guys really think it's necessary to do staggered sugar additions like that when it's under 20%? I am doing a BGS this weekend that should come in about 1.090 and I think I am gonna try adding all the sugar to the boil. I will be making up a nice big pitch of yeast and oxygenating, so it will be interesting to see if the yeast can get down to 1.010 or so.

I wasn't happy with the attenuation on my tripel when I added the sugar to the boil so I'm going to try stepping this one.

For half I may wait until I add the brett to dump in the sugar, to give it something extra to do.

You guys really think it's necessary to do staggered sugar additions like that when it's under 20%? I am doing a BGS this weekend that should come in about 1.090 and I think I am gonna try adding all the sugar to the boil. I will be making up a nice big pitch of yeast and oxygenating, so it will be interesting to see if the yeast can get down to 1.010 or so.
The staggered sugar additions help it attenuate out. Add it all at once and it might stall.

I think the fermenter feeding also reduces the fusels and makes the final product taste less alcoholic.

When I did the smaller (1.080) version of Devil May Cry, I added my cane sugar at flame out and 570 in a considerable starter had no problem attentuating down to 1.008; for the 10.10.10 version with an increase of 20 gravity points, I'm going to incrementally feed so as to not overwhelm the yeast.

The staggered sugar additions help it attenuate out. Add it all at once and it might stall.
I know the theory, I'm just questioning it's necessisty. I am going to add it all to the boil for my 1.090 beer, this yeast seems to attenuate well and it's a very simple sugar. I'll report back with where it finishes.

Tonedef, I think you can get it to fully attenuate either way...but it will taste less 'alcohol hot' if you feed it in the fermenter. That's the main reason I plan to feed it in the fermenter...just because it should taste better.

I just brewed this today with my brewing buddy. We had our best brew session yet. Here are some numbers from our day:

Batch size: 30L
First runnings 1.097
Second runnings (sparge 1) 1.064

Preboil gravity: 1.076
Preboil volume 37L

OG: 1.100

No-chilled for the first time.

One Question: We hit 1.100 post boil, but have not added the sugar. What will the sugar addition (4lbs in 8gal) do for our gravity?

Thanks

After using a few efficiency calculators, I have calculated my efficiency at 90%. With the added sugar, we would be up to 1.125 OG. I think I am going to cut the sugar in half, which will leave me with 11.9% abv. I'm using the Wyeast PC Canadian/Belgian Ale, which will hopefully achieve 78% attenuation. That will leave me at 1.025 FG

After using a few efficiency calculators, I have calculated my efficiency at 90%. With the added sugar, we would be up to 1.125 OG. I think I am going to cut the sugar in half, which will leave me with 11.9% abv. I'm using the Wyeast PC Canadian/Belgian Ale, which will hopefully achieve 78% attenuation. That will leave me at 1.025 FG
I just calculate how much gravity I'm going to get from a known sugar addition (using 46 ppg) and subtract that from my target OG (which is 1.100 in this case) to yield my target into-the-fermenter gravity.

So seeing as I have already hit 1.100 OG, I shouldn't add any sugar to fermentation? Does the sugar help the yeast continue eating the complex sugars in the wort, or does it just give them the chance to stop eating those complex sugars and eat the simple sucrose?

Ok, so when do you add the sugar? When you pitch the yeast, or at high krausen, or when it drops, or what?

I was thinking about backing out of this one, but I might decide to do it after all. This weekend looks good for brewing (crosses fingers) so I might get the other beer out of the way and I can always do a quick and dirty BPA to build up a cake just ahead of time...

(Besides, I bought some pilsner malt, so I gotta use it!)

Back