First Day Quitting Smoking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizzaman

Reaction score
Just turned 27 yesterday, decided it would be my last day smoking. Anyone else tired of being a slave to the tobacco industry?

I quit smoking cigarettes 7 years ago, haven't missed it since. I do, however, still collect and smoke cigars. Having 1-2 fine puros in a week keeps me grounded and sane.

I quit chewing last February, and havn't looked back.

Congrats on the good decision, your lungs will thank you in years to come ;)

12 years off the tobacco. I still enjoy the occasional cigar, and other hand rolled items.

The best thing was a 1-2 punch of Wellbutin ( you now have Chantrix, with less side effects) AND Nicorette for those urges.

My friend, who happened to be my doctor, told me that this combo had the highest success rate.

Also, drop some change! Have the inside of your car cleaned and launder all those clothes. Yes, it is a pain in the a**, which you may recall when you want to light up!

I do wish you best of luck! It is tough- I found myself occasionally wanting a smoke even 5 years later, but haven't touched it.

Been off cigarettes and on Snus for a week + now. I know I am trading one habit for another but, to date, everything else has failed and this seems to be holding me over.

The hardest part for me is the "Tactile Routine".

Don't smoke but best of luck to you on your endeavor.

Not many non-smokers I know who feel regret about not being a non-smoker except not getting a 15-min smoking break 2+ times a day :cross:.

I may have a tough time as my wife decided she doesn't want to quit yet. At least she's not smoking cigarettes....

I just tell my self that I'm only temporarily not smoking. After I turn 80, it's a carton a week. (not that they will be legal then, but whatever)

Good luck man, and watch out for the mind games that inner voice will play on you. Like, "you should stop at the 7-11 and just buy a pack, smoke one, and throw it away". I heard that for quite a while. Turns out, it's not okay to just have one.

The real mind-f#ck for me is out of all the people I know who smoke or have smoked, only 1 of them died from cancer...and it wasn't until he was in his 80's.

The real mind-f#ck for me is out of all the people I know who smoke or have smoked, only 1 of them died from cancer...and it wasn't until he was in his 80's.

That doesn't mean that it's not a disgusting habit that doesn't negatively affect your health. There are many side affects to smoking besides cancer. My grandmother died in her 60's from lung cancer.

good luck - I chewed for a long time - and smoked cigars (quality and crappy) and occassionaly cigarettes....

tried a lot of things to quit -

"oh just one dip and then I'll throw the can away"
"oh I'll smoke cigars so I won't chew - then give up cigars"
"oh I'll chew now to give up cigars - then I I'll give up chew"

Finally on 1/15/07, I took my last dip (and last tobacco) - and it was hell for awhile....

Even in Vegas or at bachelor parties, or at big brew days, I get tempted by a nice cigar or dip; but I'm done - I'm addicted and can't enjoy tobacco in moderation so I'm done - for good I hope....(2+ years has been a huge accomplishment)

My Grandpa died way too soon after fighting three different cancers over ten years. Ten years of chemo and endless surgery was not only painful for him, but it was miserable for our family. Quit now and don't look back. Will be thinking of you.

take it day by day, the physical addiction only lasts for 12 days. Hang in there it will get better. Just think of all the money you are going to save. How much are packs of cancer now $7? If you smoked a pack a day that's $200+ a month. In less than 6 months you could buy a conical or a brew sculpture etc. etc.

you can do it.

stay strong man. I took chanix and it helped quite a bit. I also chewed a crap ton of gum. I have been virtually smoke free since Dec 8 2008. I smoked half a cig at some point in Dec at workAfter a while, you will amazed at how you will be able to smell the smallest amount of smoke.

I've tried to quit so many times. Just love smoking cigarrettes. Who wants to live forever anyway? I do wish the cigarrettes didn't make my army physical fitness test so hard though. Lol. Remember when I could do 2 miles in 14:30 without breaking a sweat....now it's 16mins if I'm lucky. Best of luck. Stronger constitution than I sir.

man I loved smoking. I would start smoking again in a heartbeat but the fact that I have successfully quit usually keeps me from starting back up again. The money factor is a big deterrent too. Heh, its funny you mention the PT test. I use to smoke a pack a day in the navy and would smoke (no pun intended) everyone in the cardio test (which I swam). For whatever reason, smoking never effected my cardio ability.

Get hypnotized...even if you already quit...it helps with the mental stuff...
I quit 4 years ago after a $50 group session...I never even wanted one after that...

I quit smoking over 4 years ago, I still jones for a smoke sometimes, but not hard. It was tough, but I did it without any patches or drugs or hypnosis. It was the knowledge that I'd never have a better chance to quit & if I ever started again I'd likely NEVER quit that gave me the power to quit; but grapefruit & those little strawberry candies helped, along with altoids gum. You can do it. Good luck to you, GF.

Switching to chew is not a great course of action. Just cold turkey if you can. Chew has it's own problems. But it's probably better than smoking, so if you have to...

It's going to be tough. My dad and stepmom should have learned from all the others who passed away or had health problems, but they just couldn't do it. He's passed away at 58 (heart attack, might not be smoking related) and she still smokes. She has had cancer and has beaten it, with diet and faith and Protocel. I believe the loss of my dad, and the firm belief that Protocel will protect her has kept her from quitting.

I'd love for her to quit, but if she hasn't yet, then I doubt anything I say is going to make her decide to do it. It takes a strong person to say enough is enough.

I smoked my last smoke years ago. I quit not because of health reasons, but I didn't want to give those scummy cig companies my money anymore, plus all the taxes. My grandpa smoked for over 50 years and lived to the ripe old age of 75. He ended up with emphysema, but no lung cancer. Not to say smoking is healthy, but I know plenty of people with lung cancer who didn't smoke. Now I can't stand the smell!

Cancer certainly isn't the only problem. My mother was going to enjoy her retirement by traveling a lot. Tough to do when you have to drag an O2 bottle or be tethered to a generator, pay extra on the airlines for O2, arrange for more O2 at each stop, etc.

wow that stinks about your mom. Cigarettes must effect everyone differently. My Aunt and Uncle are about between 55 and 60 (Not sure of the exact age). They must smoke at least 2 packs a day. When ever they have a family function they smoke literally every 10 minutes. Its pretty gross. When and if they ever sell their townhouse, they are going to have to paint every wall and ceiling and replace the carpet, because I have no idea how you could get that smell out of there.

I've been trying to quit, i can go for a few days without one (doesn't sound much but feels significant and one step closer to me) as long as i'm not reminded about them. The biggest problem at the moment is some bright spark thought it would be clever to spam me with NHS "Free Stop Smoking Help Services" TV ads*, accompanied by the dreariest, mind-searingly depressing music possible and people standing on 200-foot high cigs.

Guess what NHS, now i want a smoke! Thanks!

*Note: I don't mean to sound ungrateful here. It's fantastic that the help is there but come on, it's depressing enough being a smoker, don't make it worse...

Quit a year ago and still have cravings. What kills me is the cravings coincide with....drinking beer, fishing and golfing. The ummmm last two also include beer.

Back