First AG in the keg - observations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DD2000GT

Reaction score
I decided to brew a Kolsch for my first AG batch as I love the style and it would be ready to drink as it heats up here in North Texas. I have done a few mini-mash kits lately and have been a brewer for over 10 years (mostly extract). I have never made a beer that I was COMPLETELY satisfied with (off tastes, cloudy, off smell, etc.), so I decided to take the plunge and go AG with full boils.

The process took me well over six hours (batch sparge in Igloo MLT) using my cajun cooker on the back porch. That is about 3 hours more than a normal mini-mash/extract kit - but I was taking my time as to reduce bonehead mistakes. I got 74% efficiency into the brew pot, so I felt that was pretty good for the first time. The White Labs Kolsch yeast was AWESOME! Took off quickly, but fermented well over a week actively but measured. I kept the fermentor around 70 - 72 degrees using the water and t-shirt wicking method - about the best I can hope for here in Texas. Smelled a little "off" while fermenting - but I just RDWHAHB and waited it out.

The beer came out VERY clear right out of the fermentor and tasted excellent! I got 1.052 OG and 1.007 FG on 24 days of fermenting in just the primary. The hydrometer sample was very promising...

So - while the additional effort was noteworthy - the beer tastes better than any I have made in over 10 years and I finally have a brew I think I can offer to REAL friends and family without worrying. Can't wait until it ages and I tap the keg. This is a compliment to all here who have helped me in my research to go AG and improve my brew - THANKS!

Congrats on your first AG! 74 percent is not that bad. When I brewed extract I've found that it was hit or miss on whether I was going to get the dreaded twang. No twang with AG (unless it gets infected of course). Mainly though I love the extra grain flavor you get with AG. From my experience, all beers taste and smell off until they are carbonated and chilled to serving temperature.

Back