Storage of grains and hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffdeezy

Reaction score
I plan to go to the homebrew shop tomorrow to buy 3 or so batches. They crush the grains at the store and bag the fresh hops. I plan on doing one batch a week. What is the optimal way to store the grains and hops? Can the grains just be left out in the bag? Do the hops have to be put in the fridge or freezer? How long would it be before they started to deteriorate?

1. grains should be stored in a zip lock or better yet seal-a-meal typs bag. Don't want the crushed grains to become stale or take on house odors, etc. should use as soon asap to keep the freshness. whole grains can be kept considerally longer just in the bag.
2. hops should stay in the fridge at least,since your planning on using them within 3 weeks. opened hop bags should then be put in a zip lock at least. Again any longer storage and you would want to seeal them up tight and then store in the freezer. They tend to lose thier stuff fast if left out in the air, and can mold if left out of a cool environment.

I would make 3 trips to the brew store! They never complain about me visiting weekly!

Not sure if they are too far away for that to work for you, my brew store is 5 minutes from work.

Put the grains in a sealed bag/container in a cool, dry place. They'll be good for a few weeks. And put the hops in the freezer.

1. grains should be stored in a zip lock or better yet seal-a-meal typs bag. Don't want the crushed grains to become stale or take on house odors, etc. should use as soon asap to keep the freshness. whole grains can be kept considerally longer just in the bag.
2. hops should stay in the fridge at least,since your planning on using them within 3 weeks. opened hop bags should then be put in a zip lock at least. Again any longer storage and you would want to seeal them up tight and then store in the freezer. They tend to lose thier stuff fast if left out in the air, and can mold if left out of a cool environment.

+1.
Generally want to avoid stocking up on cracked grains - why not think about investing in a mill. There's a thread around here somewhere talking about converting a pasta maker into a grain mill if you are short on cash.

-Hey I just noticed you were in Vancouver. Do you go to Dan's?

Latest posts

Back