help......first time kegger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBoy19

Reaction score
Ok so i hooked up my regulator.........hooks up the lines and attached the co2 line to the tank. and yes it is attached to the right in poppit. But the problem is i was tryin to force the carbonation to go faster by turning it to 30 psi and rolling the keggin on my legs back and forth. well some beer came out into the co2 line. Does this mean my poppit is bad? or should i just not use the speed method i saw on another post?

Ok so i hooked up my regulator.........hooks up the lines and attached the co2 line to the tank. and yes it is attached to the right in poppit. But the problem is i was tryin to force the carbonation to go faster by turning it to 30 psi and rolling the keggin on my legs back and forth. well some beer came out into the co2 line. Does this mean my poppit is bad? or should i just not use the speed method i saw on another post?

No, that's to be expected if you shake the keg and the beer goes above the gas "in" tube.

I'm not one for the "shaking carb" method, because it only makes the beer carbed about two days faster and usually leads to foaming, overcarbonation, or beer backed up into the regulator.

If you're in a huge hurry, chill the keg in the kegerator and set it at 30 psi. After 36-48 hours, purge and reset to the proper psi (mine is 11 psi for my 40 degree kegerator). It should be drinkable then, but will get better over the first week.

If you're not in a huge hurry, set it at the proper psi now in the kegerator and come back in 7 days.

Under 30 lbs of pressure you should not see beer in your gas line. Honestly with that much pressure i dont see how it is even possible for liquid to come into the line, sounds like you may have something going wrong, cause i have never seen beer get in my co2 line from rolling at keg(i do it often).

If you shake it, you should dis-attach the c02. Then, re-attach the c02 and repeat.

You don't want beer in your line.

Under 30 lbs of pressure you should not see beer in your gas line. Honestly with that much pressure i dont see how it is even possible for liquid to come into the line, sounds like you may have something going wrong, cause i have never seen beer get in my co2 line from rolling at keg(i do it often).

I'm surprised it never happened to you. It happens all the time. Anytime the pressure is above atmospheric pressure, and the gas "in" line is under the beer, beer will come out through the "in" poppit and sometimes (often) up into the regulator. If it hasn't happened to you, you've been lucky. Without a check valve, a regulator can be ruined by this method. Sometimes even with a check valve it can be a huge issue.

I'm surprised it never happened to you. It happens all the time. Anytime the pressure is above atmospheric pressure, and the gas "in" line is under the beer, beer will come out through the "in" poppit and sometimes (often) up into the regulator. If it hasn't happened to you, you've been lucky.
Could be, I also start rolling like the second i turn the gas on so i can hear the gas going in as i roll it. Normally i stand the keg back up as soon as the sound stops and let it sit.

I don't think you're supposed to leave the disconnect on the post while you roll the keg around. That's why you got brew through it.

I kegged for the first time last night... I'm using a 3 gallon keg (bottled the balance, all of 1.5 gallons). I topped it off with more CO2 to ensure it was sealed, and blanket the brew with gas. I'm waiting for the new fridge to arrive, that will hold my kegs moving forward. I don't want to put them on gas until they're being properly chilled. That should be before the end of this weekend.

I'll be using the two week carbonation method, personally. Seems far easier to get good results that way. Besides, I'm used to carbonation taking 2-3+ weeks, so solid at 2 weeks will be great. Only 'wild-card' in my setup is no external temperature controller. Just means I'll get a good thermometer for the fridge (probably a thermocouple on a digital display) so that I know what the fridge temp is. Should be pretty easy to set the pressure from the chart once I have that info.

I'm surprised it never happened to you. It happens all the time. Anytime the pressure is above atmospheric pressure, and the gas "in" line is under the beer, beer will come out through the "in" poppit and sometimes (often) up into the regulator. If it hasn't happened to you, you've been lucky. Without a check valve, a regulator can be ruined by this method. Sometimes even with a check valve it can be a huge issue.
yup...
Could be, I also start rolling like the second i turn the gas on so i can hear the gas going in as i roll it. Normally i stand the keg back up as soon as the sound stops and let it sit.
and yup... thats the reason you dont get it in your lines..

No, that's to be expected if you shake the keg and the beer goes above the gas "in" tube.

I'm not one for the "shaking carb" method, because it only makes the beer carbed about two days faster and usually leads to foaming, overcarbonation, or beer backed up into the regulator.

If you're in a huge hurry, chill the keg in the kegerator and set it at 30 psi. After 36-48 hours, purge and reset to the proper psi (mine is 11 psi for my 40 degree kegerator). It should be drinkable then, but will get better over the first week.

If you're not in a huge hurry, set it at the proper psi now in the kegerator and come back in 7 days.

When you say purge you mean let all the air out of the keg using the release valve correct?

when i connect the out tap line, do you leave it connected always or should i disconnect and clean it. I am using just a cheap picnic tap and its out in my garage. I just don't want bacteria on the end of my tap line.

When you say purge you mean let all the air out of the keg using the release valve correct?
yup

when i connect the out tap line, do you leave it connected always or should i disconnect and clean it. I am using just a cheap picnic tap and its out in my garage. I just don't want bacteria on the end of my tap line.

is it in a fridge? if so you will be fine..

Yes, pull the pressure relief valve when hooking it up, especially after shaking. Otherwise, beer WILL flow back into your lines/regulator!

When you connect it, you can leave it connected. I leave mine right in the fridge. The key is to know where it is (I use a zip-tie to keep it up at the top of the keg) so you don't accidentally drop it into a position where it is held open while you're away. Otherwise, leaving it connected is fine!

similar questions, we just kegged my 9.1% IPA the other night, we hooked up the c02, I thinkit was set at 14 and we are letting it sit. The problem is that we have two other kegs on the co2 in the fridge, see sig below. How long should we wait to drink the IPA and are we way off, etc...

similar questions, we just kegged my 9.1% IPA the other night, we hooked up the c02, I thinkit was set at 14 and we are letting it sit. The problem is that we have two other kegs on the co2 in the fridge, see sig below. How long should we wait to drink the IPA and are we way off, etc...

If your temperature is 40-42 degrees, and the other kegs are carbed correctly, that's fine. It'll take a week or so for the IPA to carb up, maybe up to 14 days for full carbonation. But I'd say it should start being carbed up in 4 days or so, at least enough to get a small sample!

Latest posts

Back