Farmhouse Ale Wyeast 3726

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just made a spelt saison with the de Blaugies strain and it turned out AMAZING. Pitched into 65F wort, allowed it to free rise and ramped to 83F over 5-7 days. Held it there for another 2 weeks until all observable fermentation signs had abated, then cold crashed and transferred.

Tons of lemon zest and clove character and a small amount of bubblegum coming through. Way easier to use than the DuPont strain and I prefer the ester bouquet more. Think this might have to be my house saison strain.

I considered using spelt in mine this weekend, but stayed with wheat because I read that it has a very similar character to wheat or rye. What's your take on it?

I considered using spelt in mine this weekend, but stayed with wheat because I read that it has a very similar character to wheat or rye. What's your take on it?

Honestly I’m not sure I could tell the difference between spelt and wheat, and I used 30% in my grainbill. The malt had a nutty flavor and is more perceptibly sharp on the palate than wheat in the beer, but the overall effect is a bit muted with such a characterful yeast. Spelt definitely doesn’t have the spiciness of rye malt though. I would be really interested to see what a 100% spelt beer might taste like — unfortunately I think a good bit of its effect was lost to poor efficiency on this one.

I also don’t think malted spelt needs a protein rest to solubilize. I had a disaster brew with spelt and rye where the mash was so gummy I could barely squeeze a pint from, but the wort practically flew out of this mash with a 20 minute rest at 127F. Spelt is definitely more easy to brew with than rye, and probably wheat as well.

Well, this farmhouse strain sure works fast. I pitched the yeast Sunday at 5pm (no starter), and it took off like a rocket inside of 24 hours. As of Tuesday morning it appears to be done. Wow.

@specharka thanks for the info.

Well, this farmhouse strain sure works fast. I pitched the yeast Sunday at 5pm (no starter), and it took off like a rocket inside of 24 hours. As of Tuesday morning it appears to be done. Wow.

@specharka thanks for the info.
Split a batch last year with 3726 and 3724 Saison. 3726 on the left. Amazingly different. The Saison 3724 won gold and third best of show at the North Texas Limbo. Farmhouse never did much, but I remade both this year.
20170403_173007.jpeg

Split a batch last year with 3726 and 3724 Saison. 3726 on the left. Amazingly different. The Saison 3724 won gold and third best of show at the North Texas Limbo. Farmhouse never did much, but I remade both this year.View attachment 576907

Which did you prefer, and how long did it take your 3726 batch to ferment? I've never had a fermentation go this fast or show as much activity. I barely had time to even ramp the temp up.

Which did you prefer, and how long did it take your 3726 batch to ferment? I've never had a fermentation go this fast or show as much activity. I barely had time to even ramp the temp up.

The 3726 fermented out in about 2-3 days. The 3724 took a few more days. On both of them I controlled the temp for the first three days then let free raise to 75 for another 12 days. I enjoyed the Saison best even the second time.

Last edited:
Back