Anyone else love the smell of fermentation in the morning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lounge Lizard

Reaction score
Gawd, I do... in the morning, in the evening, and at night!

I like to hover over the fermentation lock or blowoff jug and take a whiff. Smells great... the little yeasties going to town working to make me happy.

I even like the sound of the constant drumbeat of the bubbles. Sort of soothing, just like being in a mother's womb hearing the pitter patter of her caring heart... :drunk: I don't think I'll ever feel right again without my constant companion.

Yes, I have had a beer or two, but I feel like I have a new friend over in the primary... A stout Irish lass waiting to soothe me... lol

Sampling my first batch here (after one week in the bottles), it tastes very similar to Coors (Coopers Lager kit). But what can I say, it's beer! I hope it will improve a little with age, but I'm not expecting miracles.

Bubble bubble.... remove me from my toils and troubles..... ;)

Joe

hehehehe, me 2. i ferment in a chest freezer, and i love to take a big ol' whif when i open it up to check on it......mmmmmm.......fermenting......mmmmmm......

Cool... I'm in good company!

My stout Irish lass smells sweet. Much different from my first batch. Gotta love the Irish... but I love 'em all..... Not a prejudiced bone in my body...

justbrewit said:
no hops in the starter though, doesn't smell as good!! :D
I always put a few pellets in mine. I'm with you guys though, I just put an IPA in the primary last night and it so cool to just sit here and watch it bubble away. I think I'll go take a smell also.

Oh yeah...I smell the starters, the primaries, the secondaries, newly racked kegs, all of em. I love the smell!!!!

Oh, anyone else like to pop a couple whole hops in your mouth when doing your hop additions? I cant stop myself from sampling them...LOL. That and diving your nose into a nice big bag of em. Now THATS an awesome smell as well!

Man! I'm so glad that I'm not the only one!! :D

I get up in the morning, and the first place I visit before I point percy at the porcelain is the brew cupboard, to check on the airlocks, sniff the sweet brew fermenting......heaven...

Oh, anyone else like to pop a couple whole hops in your mouth when doing your hop additions? I cant stop myself from sampling them...LOL. That and diving your nose into a nice big bag of em. Now THATS an awesome smell as well!
yes.gif

I have a batch of mead fermenting in my bedroom closet. Everytime I go to put on some clothes, I smell like fermenting honey. I don't mind it, but sometimes it can be a bad thing.

All of the Christmas presents I had hidden in there smell like fermenting honey now too.

I too love the smell of fermentation. I think that my dog likes it more. She is always trying to get into the bathroom to take a whiff off the airlock then sit and watch the bubbles. :D

I made the mistake of sniffing my airlock on the cider I have going, PHEEEW :drunk: , But I love the smell of fresh fermentation in the morning.

Back