Chicha! corn beer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonerrz

Reaction score
So this is my first post, and i have brewed a couple times before but never used corn for my grain and would like to give it a try! but i have a few questions that maybe you guys can help answer :]

so first off, I looked at a recipe that says to use red corn, or yellow corn... but im wondering, is it possible to germinate and use popcorn for the process? (only asking because i have a few pounds of unused popcorn in my cabinet and would like to use that instead of going out and buying some more corn).

also has anyone ever made chicha or any other types of corn beer before? and if so how does it taste? what flavor can you relate it too.. im very curious

thanks!

most people around here who have used corn use it as an adjunct for cream ale or american lagers. if you REALLY want to, you could try to malt the corn, but i'm not 100% sure that it would even work. just buy some flaked corn (or read up on using grits), it ain't that expensive. i would imagine you'd have a pretty untasty beer if you used all corn, many people can taste it if it's like 10% of the grain bill. but if you do make an all (or mostly) corn beer, let us know how it turns out.

Bumping this. Considering making some myself. Anyone ever do the saliva on cornmeal method to convert the star ches?

Bumping this. Considering making some myself. Anyone ever do the saliva on cornmeal method to convert the star ches?

All corn or corn and barley? If you use all corn you need something to convert the starches to sugars and your saliva is one method. If you use some barley in the mash, it has excess enzymes that will do the converting for you, no saliva required. It takes at least 1/3 by weight of barley to provide enough enzymes and even then it depends on the way the barley was malted. Check the specifications of the barley to be sure it has enough. If you do all corn, you can also purchase enzymes.

popcorn probably isn't a good idea. Probably should go with flaked corn.

On that TV series they tried with Dogfish head they had an episode where they had everyone chewing corn for a batch and everyone complained that their jaw hurt. That just sounds unpleasant. And now the thought of "What if the person(s) doing all the chewing also chew tobacco?" just popped into my mind.

Start off with something that calls for some 6-row and flaked corn and see how you like that before spitting corn for a week.

Was gonna do all corn. Not use whole kernals but corn meal use a little water to form into nice balls and stick them in my mouth and move them around with my tongue while watching the tube. Maybe find some nice heirloom variety and grind it in a coffee grinder. I'll post a brew log for sure if I do.

Back