Yeast nutrient and yeast energizer Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mumford

Reaction score
So in some research in order to hopefully prevent my mead from ever getting stuck again (my first two batches were/are gigantic stuck failures), I'm looking into the correct way to use nutrient and energizer.

I've purchased both nutrient and energizer from LD Carlson. How do these items compare with Superfood and Fermaid-K? Assuming that not all products are born equal should I search out these two specific products (Superfood and Fermaid) instead of using LD Carlson?

Also, on a sidenote, which size aeration stone should I purchase? I will probably be doing 1 gal of mead/wine/cider.

Check out the sticky at the top of this forum, and read Hightest's FAQs on staggered nutrient additions. There are also some other good FAQs worth reading (some more nutrient questions, and some PH ones) that may also help prevent a stuck batch.

I've read the FAQs about the nutrient/energizer and was wondering about anyone's personal experiences with LD Carlson's products.

since you said personal I'll put the fav caveat IMO, (I 4 Ignorant) I haven't used LD Carlson yet. I was worried about this also as I;m not that comfortable with meads so after reading through everything I went with a Melomel/pyment with what we call down south scopernine grapes. I only used about 14-20 grapes (boiled and depitted) and that seemed to provide enough nutrients. When i "racked" I really just remixed everything by dumping it in the carboy. Took about 9 months and slowed when the weather turned cold but the green-finished product is pleasing.

Next time I'm trying fermaid-k

Maybe I'm worried about nothing, but how long does a mead typically ferment for. I've done some research and if I baby it people say I can get it down to about 2 weeks for primary. I was just wondering how long the actual, ie inoculate/forget, method takes.

i just racked a mead that was sitting in primary for 2 months. i used LD energizer and nutrient and everything seemed to turn out fine. i did staggered additions and it fermented dry in about 2 weeks with D-47. doesnt taste half bad either but ill leave it be for atleast 6 months

Back