Best head retention grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demus

Reaction score
I'm doing an oatmeal stout and really want a thick, creamy head that lasts to the last sip. What's your favorite foam boosting grain? How much would you put in a 5 gallon batch in the 1.060 range?

Im going to be experimenting with a combo of carafoam and golden naked oats, which is supposedly an amazing combo. Ill report back with my findings

Flaked Barley does a great job too. I use .5 lbs in my stouts and porters and get a thick, creamy head.

Im going to be experimenting with a combo of carafoam and golden naked oats, which is supposedly an amazing combo. Ill report back with my findings

I was thinking something similar, but maybe with some wheat instead of the carafoam. Where'd you here of that combo? You think a pound of each should do it?

Flaked Barley does a great job too. I use .5 lbs in my stouts and porters and get a thick, creamy head.

I agree! In a stout, flaked barley is a MUST. I'd go up to a whole pound if I had it, and waned to make sure I got a thick creamy head.

I've used golden naked oats lots of times. They have a great "nutty" flavor, so I love them in pale ales and in some steam beers. I wouldn't put them in a stout, though, as I doubt that you'd pick up the flavor over all the roast.

Demus said:
I was thinking something similar, but maybe with some wheat instead of the carafoam. Where'd you here of that combo? You think a pound of each should do it?

I was browsing rebel brewer, and someone commented on one of those 2 grains (cant remember which one) that golden naked oats and carafoam was an amazing combo for heat retention. Im using a half lb of each in an upcoming pale ale/ blonde ale ill be brewing this week.

Latest posts

Back