Idiot of the year award - Frozen keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wstandis

Reaction score
Yesterday I transfered a batch of beer to my corny keg and like an idiot I hoked it up to co2 and started cleaning up. After a few beers I "fell asleep" and left my keg on my back porch last night and this morning it was rock solid.

I was planing on force carbonating the beer so there was no further yeast activity required but not ure if it will recover from this.

Do you think the beer is ruined?

:eek:

Yeah, Id be less worried about the beer, it will be ok... the keg though, maybe not. I have seen them frozen and ruined, unable to hold a seal when the SS gets stressed and stretched around the lid.

Yeah, there was a thread on here the other day with a stretched out keg lid that is most likely ruined.

On a side note, I did have a 6th grader come into my class the other day who had just licked the street light poll outside of the school and had to rip his own tongue off of it. It was pretty gruesome, tongue meat exposed and all.

That happens to me all the time actually. Your fingers are so used to typing a certain word that you just can't convince them that you really want them to type a similar, but different word. I've had to type a word 4 or five times before I convince my stupid fingers that I really do want them to type what I want them to type.

Just because I let you in my nose doesn't mean you have access to my brain!!! Damn fingers...

I'm so smart, S-M-R-T, smart!

...I almost did the same thing last weekend, but I remembered it after a couple hours. So I can fully understand how it could happen. :D

Anyway, the beer is probably ok. I'd check the keg to see if it will hold pressure once the beer has thawed. If not, rack to a different keg.

The beer should be fine (don't know about the keg thougb - let us know).

I made an Icebock last year that was done be placing the finished lagered beer (a dark lager) in a tuppeware tub in my lagering freezer and taking it down to 30F (-1c). As the water started to freeze, I lifted off the top and took out chunks of ice and took gravity readings (adjusted for temperature) until I'd raised the alcohol from the fermented 5.5% up to 9% :drunk:. It worked really well. So I doubt your beer suffered.

Good luck on the keg - if it didn't split - I would think it'd be repairable.

Ian

Put me on the list of idiots who froze kegs. Last night i was really excited to have my kegorator hooked up finaly after the big move. The wife helped me put the top on and then i plugged it in at like 9pm. I awoke this morning terrified. I FORGOT TO PUT THE TEMP PROBE IN THE FREEZER. When i went down there the lines were frozen but i don't think the kegs were solid. The temp read -5 when it evened out. Man do i feel dumb. It was a barleywine and tripel both around 11-12% so i don't think it all froze. We will see today. Wish me luck.

Ugh. Revive this thread, kinda I converted a GE walmart special to kegerator and had to move the freezer, the thermometer to the fridge was originally attached to the freezer compartment and I thought it'd be more accurate to put it closer to the kegs. nope, not really. I've gotten the fridge down to 20 degrees twice now just setting it to the 2 setting which I think should be just about 40-45 degrees (if it's like any other fridge I've owned). There's still liquid sloshing in the keg and it's still attached to gas. I should probably disconnect it and bring it inside.

Will disconnecting it from the gas and letting it warm up a bit affect the carbonation? (I was force carbing and it's been connected for about 24 hours)

I've moved the thermometer back to the freezer coil, should I just leave the fridge off and leave the keg in the fridge attached to the gas till tomorrow and try to pull a pint as planned? (that's my preferred method of action)

yeah, it's still got holding pressure. It wasn't frozen solid, I guess I was just worried that it might be. Going to leave the fridge off since it only gets up to 60's during the day and it should be just right tomorrow afternoon. I hope ;)

Back