Bear Republic Racer 5 Recipe???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iskone

Reaction score
I've read I can get the recipe from BYO Sept 04' but I'm hoping I can find a copy of it online? Anyone have one?

Thanks
Isaac

I should mention I searched the BYO website archives and all over the net and still could not find it.

Had that when I was on the other coast last summer. Good stuff! Haven't been able to find it here in NJ. If you find the recipe please post it. Thanks.

anoldur said:
Had that when I was on the other coast last summer. Good stuff! Haven't been able to find it here in NJ. If you find the recipe please post it. Thanks.

..come across the river, we have it here.:mug:

I found these with the good oldfashioned google search.......

------------------------

Here's the clone from BYO:

5 gallons
OG 1.071
FG 1.015
IBU = 60
SRM = 10
ABV = 7.2%

11.25 lbs 2-row pale malt
1.66 lbs wheat malt
0.625 lbs crystal 15
0.42 lbs dextrose
0.21 lbs Carapils malt
0.51 oz chinook at 12%AA (90 mins)
1.74 oz Cascade at 5% AA (60 mins)
0.3 oz Centennial (dry)
0.3 oz Amarillo (dry)
0.2 oz Cascade (dry)
0.2 oz Tomahawk (dry)
Wyeast 1272 or White Labs WLP051

Mash in at 145 and ramp up to 152--boil for 90 mins--ferment at 68.

--------------OR----------------------

Racer 5 IPA

5 gallons/19L
OG=1.071 FG=1.015
IBU=60 SRM=10 ABV=7.2

Ingredients:
11.25 # 2-row pale malt
1.66 # wheat malt
0.625 # crystal malt 15°L
0.42 # corn sugar
0.21 # carapils malt
6.1AAU Chinook hops 90 min
8.7AAU Cascade hops 60 min
0.3 oz Centennial hops Dry hopped
0.3 oz Amarillo hops Dry hopped
0.2 oz Cascade hops Dry hopped
0.2 oz Tomahawk hops Dry hopped
Wyeast 1272 American Ale II yeast
or
WLP051 California V yeast
0.75 cup corn sugar for priming

Step by Step:
Mash in at 145°F then ramp to 152°F for conversion.
Mash out at 170°and boil 90 min. Ferment at 68°F

Extract Option:
Replace pale malt with 6# DME and 0.33 # 2-row pale malt.
Steep crushed grains in 1 gallon water at 152° for 45 minutes.

------------------------------------------

Hope this helps this tread off the ground since it was started in April of '06!

I was planning on a Racer 5 clone (never had the beer, but have heard good things), and I see that they add dextrose sugar. I have never done this before, where is it added. I assume in the boil, but do you put it in right at the start, or in the last 15 minutes?

I was planning on a Racer 5 clone (never had the beer, but have heard good things), and I see that they add dextrose sugar. I have never done this before, where is it added. I assume in the boil, but do you put it in right at the start, or in the last 15 minutes?

Last 15, just to kill any bact. ;)

I just drank this in Baton Rouge and I'm in love. Definitely brewing this next.

Anyone have any ratings on any of these all grain recipes?

I just drank this in Baton Rouge and I'm in love. Definitely brewing this next.

Anyone have any ratings on any of these all grain recipes?

I've made the BYO recipe a few times both AG and PM. While I think it is a tasty recipe and I know people who have won comps with it, I didn't think it was a true clone. However that was going off of memory, I never did a side by side comparison.

I've made the BYO recipe a few times both AG and PM. While I think it is a tasty recipe and I know people who have won comps with it, I didn't think it was a true clone. However that was going off of memory, I never did a side by side comparison.

I see. It's got to be worth brewing though if has won competitions and at least kind of close. I would still definitely like a close representation of it if it's out there.

Mash in at 145 and ramp up to 152--boil for 90 mins--ferment at 68.

I'm still kind of new to AG and I'm curious when exactly I need to ramp up my temp in the mash. From what I have read about temp ranges of enzymes being active, mashing in at 145 and then ramping up to 152 doesn't seem all that necessary.

Maybe I'm way off but can anyone help? I'm planning on brewing this Sunday

On their website they don't mention any wheat just "American pale and crystalmalts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial."

are there any clones with just those ingredients? if not I'll just make one and post it later.

Tomahawk is a trade name for Columbus hops. I made the recipe in post #11 last year. While it was a decent beer, it didn't come out close to Racer 5. More so because of the malt than the hops. For sure I'd leave out the dextrose and replace it with some more crystal malt and bump the mash temp a bit. Mine was very thin.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I have some questions. I've only done 2 AGBs so far.

1) How does one ramp up the temp in a mash? Its in a plastic container which can't be heated! Does this mean heat 1/2 the water to 145 then heat the other half to 152 and pour it in?

2) The instructions say:
0.51 oz chinook at 12%AA (90 mins)
1.74 oz Cascade at 5% AA (60 mins)

Does this mean I start adding Chinook continuously at initial boil and then start adding Cascade at 30 mins into the boil doing both continuously?

3) These instructions have NO indication of how much water (how many cups) to add to the mash? How much for the sparge? Its damn confusing to a beginner like myself.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :rockin:

Back