What is craft beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingHorse

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Starting this thread based on a question in another thread; didn't want to send that one too far off-topic.

html034 said:
Just wonderin what exactly is the line between "mainstream" and craft beer?

sam adams?

Sierra Nevada?

Here's what the Brewers Association says:

An American craft brewer is small, independent, and traditional.

Small: Annual production of beer less than 2 million barrels. Beer production is attributed to a brewer according to the rules of alternating proprietorships. Flavored malt beverages are not considered beer for purposes of this definition.

Independent: Less than 25% of the craft brewery is owned or controlled (or equivalent economic interest) by an alcoholic beverage industry member who is not themselves a craft brewer.

Traditional: A brewer who has either an all malt flagship (the beer which represents the greatest volume among that brewers brands) or has at least 50% of it’s volume in either all malt beers or in beers which use adjuncts to enhance rather than lighten flavor.

Here's another guy's take (and I don't know him from Adam, but he makes some interesting points) on why that definition is flawed

Bike N Brew said:
Here's another guy's take (and I don't know him from Adam, but he makes some interesting points) on why that definition is flawed

"Lew Bryson
the award-winning, beer-drinking, whiskey-sipping, brewery-visiting, cask-tapping, thirst-creating drinks writer."

Lew is the author of several state specific beer books, CONDÉ NAST Portfolio.com contributor, contributes articles to various industry & beer pubs/periodicals and appeared in the PBS PA Breweries TV special....to mention a few things beyond that blog.

brewt00l said:
"Lew Bryson
the award-winning, beer-drinking, whiskey-sipping, brewery-visiting, cask-tapping, thirst-creating drinks writer."

Lew is the author of several state specific beer books, CONDÉ NAST Portfolio.com contributor, contributes articles to various industry & beer pubs/periodicals and appeared in the PBS PA Breweries TV special....to mention a few things beyond that blog.

I guess "don't know him from Adam" wasn't the right phrase...was looking for something more like "I don't agree or disagree, just sharing".

:mug:

He makes some great points. The long and short of it is (to borrow his example), if Goose Island is not a craft brew, then the problem is in their definition, not in the beer. Goose Island makes a damn good beer.

Goose Island is definitely a good beer, and a craft beer, to my untrained mind. Nice place to stop too (though I drink honker at a variety of bars in the area). But it's also just part of my general policy of supporting local business. WOn't stop me from making the Quacker Ale clone kit though, and saving a bit of money. :)

Back