Something Like Arrogant Bastard...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I wanted to make something similar to Arrogant Bastard and asked a for a little help from Yooper. This is what I came up with this Kinda Haughty Ale.
What do you think? Any changes needed?

I don't mash so I substituted Marris Otter for Briess pilsen LME. Yooper suggested 1 oz of Chinook at 60/30/0 mins. I can only boil 3 1/2 gallons so I upped it to 1.3 oz per addition (just realized I am left with .1 oz) as I figure those amounts are for a full boil.

I woulda went with using the breiss dry(did you mean xtra light dry? in your recipe?) light malt extract for the base. Although i think it could be good,somewhat different,nonetheless good. If you are left with .1 oz just throw it in at flamout,unless your dryhopping then dryhopp and take some of your late additions out to dry hop with as well. I would suggest dryhopping with some of those if your up to it.

I just made a 2.5 gallon test batch of AB based on the recipe below (shown for 5 gallon size). It's all grain and I didn't do a 90 minute boil but it this small batch comes out ok, I'll tweak it a bit.

Boil Size: 8.11 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.02 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 19.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 70.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 84.4 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
14 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 90.3 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.7 %
0.85 oz Chinook [12.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 28.3 IBUs
0.85 oz Chinook [12.80 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 4 25.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [12.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 16.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [12.80 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (Fermentis #S-04) [47 Yeast 7 -
1.00 oz Chinook [11.40 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Danny's Mash
Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 27.12 qt of water at 155.9 F 148.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 3.99 gal water at 168.0 F

I agree Mr Bear. I wouldn't hesitate to take her advice. But I'm afraid I may not have been on the same page, and didn't want to bombard her with PM's.

Beer-Lord: Please let me know what you think of your beer! It will be about a month before I'm ready to brew this one...I try to work on next batches a month out.

I have been using pilsen LME in most of my brews other than ambers. Morebeer just changed up their available LME's and now offer 2L pilsen, 3L ultralight, and 4L light. Would any of these be better to use? I like to use LME for the cost savings so that I can afford to brew several batches a month, and now to also stretch into shooting cap and ball, and eventually casting my own conicals and balls...

Should I be dry hopping this beer? I only have 4 oz on hand, which are 11.1% (low?).

The Can You Brew It thread for AB is stupidly long, but it has the cloned recipe, which having made it, I think is better than bottled AB (the only kind I can get around here).
It's a simple recipe: 90% 2row, 10% crystal 120. In your case, substitute regular malt extract for the 2 row.
It's also a 90 minute boil, which gives you a bit more kettle caramelization, and ups hops utilization a bit.
The hops additions are at 85, 45, 15, 1

I haven't had AB in a while, but 15% crystal malt seems like a lot. Maybe cut it down to 10ish% like the BN close recipe above.

(PS As a general rule, I tend to prefer beers with less crystal, so take my input with a grain of salt)

The Can You Brew It thread for AB is stupidly long, but it has the cloned recipe, which having made it, I think is better than bottled AB (the only kind I can get around here).
It's a simple recipe: 90% 2row, 10% crystal 120. In your case, substitute regular malt extract for the 2 row.
It's also a 90 minute boil, which gives you a bit more kettle caramelization, and ups hops utilization a bit.
The hops additions are at 85, 45, 15, 1

AB uses Special B, not C120.

AB would seem to be a simple beer with just a single crystal (Special B), and a single hop (Chinook). The Special B should be about 10%.

AB uses Special B, not C120.

AB would seem to be a simple beer with just a single crystal (Special B), and a single hop (Chinook). The Special B should be about 10%.

Doh! You're exactly right. Special B it is (mine was 180 SRM), although crystal 120 would probably work in a pinch.
I've been looking at my notes from a year ago :eek:

90% 2row
10% Special B

4 oz of Chinook in a 90 min boil
- 1oz each at 85, 45, 15, 0 min

WY1028 London Ale yeast

Water profile: Brown Bitter from Bru'n Water spreadsheet

I don't mash, but am ready to try a mini mash with my 2 gal Igloo. I wouldn't be able to do all 2 Row. What LME would work well in it's place?
Does Spec B need to be mashed? What kind of flavor does Spec B lend?

Back