Therminator...worth the money or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
I still have to come up with a way that is efficient and proven. I plan to bag my hops and from what I have read, the Therminator is the way to go. I will start a poll.....worth the money or not?

Thanks for your help
Joe

I was looking at those....another guy on this forum contacted dudadiesel and they said that the majority of their products are now "non threaded" heat exhangers. I guess they got a wrong shipment of stuff and have been trying to move them from their inventory. I am going to call them and cofirm. I agree 100% that the therminator is WAY overpriced and nothing more than a specialty name heat exchanger...Iwill get to the bottom of this and report back to you guys that may be interested.

......so in other words a plate chiller (regarless of the name) is the way to go??? You guys are in agreeance?

I don't agree. A plate chiller is the way to go if you must have the performance of a one-pass chiller. It has the drawback of cost and complexity of cleaning. In my situation (5 gal. batches, not pressed for time, K.I.S.S. philosophy) my 25' 3/8" copper coil immersion chiller was inexpensive, is simplicity itself to clean, and takes about 20 minutes to chill 5+ gallons of boiling wort to 70F (I have 55F well water for the coolant), which is plenty fast enough for me. The question is completely situational.

I agree with you rico567. There really isn't a must have, just convenience and ease. The last thing I want to do is bust my ass while having fun brewing. Since I plan to bag my hops in every batch...I don't think I will have any issues with clogging.

Once I am done with the chilling process, I think cleaning the entire system...hoses, pump and chiller will be a breeze.

I think for 5 or 10 gallon batches, a therminator is overkill. I do 30 gallon batches and can chill 30 gallons of wort to 60F (55F well water) in less than a half an hour with my therminator. I used to use a chillzilla but it was not adequate when I stepped up from 15 to 30 gallon batches. I think for 10 gallons or less, an immersion chiller or homemade CFC is more than adequate.

when you start getting up around 15-20 gal mark, you really need a plate or counterflow type chiller. the immersion chillers just take way to long with larger volumes, just like a sink ice bath on full wort boils doesn't make it.

Thumbs up for the therminator here. I brew 10 and 15 gallon batches. It is easy to clean and sanitize. I have used it for at least 10 batches of beer and so far so good.
From the time I turn off the boil untill the time I pitch is less than ten minutes for a ten gallon batch. Being that I am in AZ I use a pre-chill because the ground water is so warm. I am able to consistenly hit the 70 deg. mark each time i chill.

I was looking at that site and see they have the 30 plate for $110 and a 60 plate for $240. Is the 30 plate adequate for wort chilling? Anyone have one from this site, if so, how is it?

I have a 20 and a 10 plate chiller from them. In the summer my tap water is too warm so I added a the second stage which I pump ice water through. I love being able to get down to pitching temps in a single pass

I was looking at that site and see they have the 30 plate for $110 and a 60 plate for $240. Is the 30 plate adequate for wort chilling? Anyone have one from this site, if so, how is it?

I use the HE 30 Plate heat exchanger to cool down ~10 gallons from boil to ~72F (with 25ft prechiller) at a rate of 1 gal/min. The ground water here has been ~83F lately.

It appears most of his current stock doesn't have threaded fittings. Mine came with 1/2" male pipe threads. Not sure if that's a problem for some people.

I have the small 30 plate as well. As long as the hops are bagged no problems. I have had hops clog the plate chiller so bag your hops but you can squeeze the hose and that usually will free the clog. But a boil screen or bag will pretty much alleviate that problem. Oh and I always boil my chiller prior to use. You can never get all the water out of a plate chiller and made a back flush line to clean it out after I'm done and after I boil before using it.

So no problems with clogging, or do you bag your hops to prevent it?

I use a big hop bag for my hops, so no problems with clogging. Not sure I would want to use a CFC or plate chiller without a hop bag or some kind of screen/filter

I have the small 30 plate as well. As long as the hops are bagged no problems. I have had hops clog the plate chiller so bag your hops but you can squeeze the hose and that usually will free the clog. But a boil screen or bag will pretty much alleviate that problem. Oh and I always boil my chiller prior to use. You can never get all the water out of a plate chiller and made a back flush line to clean it out after I'm done and after I boil before using it.

I use a big hop bag for my hops, so no problems with clogging. Not sure I would want to use a CFC or plate chiller without a hop bag or some kind of screen/filter

It does make sense to bag or screen the hops. Thanks for the info. I hope the OP got something from it also. ;)

Newbe tip from a newbie. We made a "two-stage" immersion wort chiller. Basically two separate copper coils. Once goes into a cooler, with 2 bags of ice. the other is immersed in hot wort. Garden hose feeds stage 1, coollng it thru the ice chest, then goes to "stage 2" coil, immersed in wort. Yesterday I cooled 5 gals to below 80 in about 20 minutes. I'm a newbee, so this may be old hat, but it was "new to us" & works great. I noted that the wort is segreated by the immersion coil, with the liquid inside the coil cooler than the liquid outside the coil. I found by working the chiller back/forth trhough the wort, you get big, quick temp drops.

http://www.dudadiesel.com

half the price of Therminator! - so I would say Therminator is not worth the money.

The problem is they dont have a single one with THREADED connections. They are all simple welded connections. No NPT. They have them deeply discounted because they cannot move them.

They dont have a single plate chiller with NPT fittings though. Thier site sayes so, but thier people told me that it is a mistake. They said that they are typically 2x the price listed, but they are trying to move these plate chillers.

I had contemplated the Therminator, or the CC... but for $200 I needed to get A LOT of efficiency. I tested my HERMS coil to see if it would perform as a cooling coil as well, and reached 57F in 25 minutes in a 5 gallon batch with 4 gallons of water augmented with ice. I was able to get plenty of chilling power from a closed (no garden hoses) system, utilizing what I already had.

I love my Therminator, chills my wort as fast as I can pump it through with my march pump. I always do 12 gallon batches.

The odd thing is that the people at Duda told me less than 5 days ago that they had NO threaded port chillers in stock. That they had recieved the wrong shipment, they were all simple welded ports. Also, that 20 plate has less than HALF the cooling area of the Therminator.

It appears that either they have not updated some of thier ads, or they do in fact have a few smaller chillers in stock with threaded ports. The 30 plate meduim chiller is comparable to the Therminator in surface area, but only comes with 1" welded ports, no NPT

Am I missing something here - this is $105 (uses a few photos that were on the duda site - but gets good customer rating.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brazed-Stainles...657QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&itemid=170402036657

Yes, look at the dates of the previous posts. Three weeks ago the only 30 to 40 plate chillers on Ebay around $100 were from Duda Diesel. The only caveat was the chillers that Duda had were unthreaded and meant to be welded. Now, three weeks later it appears that some threaded 30 to 40 plate chillers have appeared on Ebay that were not there 3 weeks ago, kapish?

Thanks Guy - just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something on that item I linked to - appears to be threaded but wasn't sure if I was missing anything else that would mean it's not a good fit for a brewing setup.

I got lucky and found a 40 plate chiller (same dimensions as the therminator) for 105.00, with all four 1/2" NPT female threads with shipping and IT WAS NOT from Duda Diesel. It was from a company in Hawaii.

Frankly I was disappointed with duda diesel and their selection... unless you want to spend 250-325 for an enormous chiller that has threads or you have to find someone that can weld ends on it??? No thanks.

The 1/2" NPTF threads were all on one side. Nice chiller for the price. I was very eager to give dudadiesel my business and deal with the non threaded exchanger until I called to ask questions. The secretary answered and said there is noone here that can answer tech questions most of the time and the owner is gone for 3 weeks......that was last month. I never called back.

I brew next to my pool, and this time of year I can pump that water to cool my wort. I do use a therminator and it works marvelously. This would also work with a CFC, but NOT a HERMS chiller, which requires ice. I like to avoid ice.

I brew next to my pool, and this time of year I can pump that water to cool my wort. I do use a therminator and it works marvelously. This would also work with a CFC, but NOT a HERMS chiller, which requires ice. I like to avoid ice.

Hmmm Ice = Frost Brewed ? Sorry couldnt resist even though i know better..:fro:

barleywade,

I got it off of ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brazed-Stainless-Steel-40-Plate-Heat-Exchanger_W0QQitemZ170406323911QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27ad0226c7

This particular plate chiller already has 1/2" FNPT (all four on the same side) which worked out awesome for me since I utilize morebeers SS QD's with a 3 piece SS valve on the top and the bottom utilizes 2 -90* brass street elbows pointing down and a male/female hose end on those.

There were several other I was looking at, but this one sold me with the fact it is the exact dimensions and plate capacity (40) as the therminator. I emailed blichmann and got the specs on the therminator.

Ships out of Hawaii...great customer service as well.

From what I gathered after a few test runs, it lowers 200+ degree wort to 65-70* in one pass @ ~ .5 GPM. The tap water has to be open all the way and the wort slowed to a steady rate.

Hope that helps

Back