Mutant cone on my cascade bine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hexmonkey

Reaction score
I got a little crazy while pruning my cascade bine today and wound up cutting a portion that had cones on it. As I was cutting the cones off, I came across one cone that looks like it couldn't decide whether to be a leaf or a cone - it grew all weird with multiple leaves coming out of the middle of the cone. The "stem" part, where it's attached to the bine, is very long and seems to have part of the cone with lupulin glands at the joint.

This is my second year growing, and this cascade plant has grown about 3x the size it was last year at this time.

WTF_cone_1.jpg

Here's a wider angle shot, the cone is at the bottom

WTF_cone_2.jpg

I have one of those on one of my cascade plants too. Someone else here called it an "angel cone" because it has wings (leaves). Apparently it happens pretty regularly.

I have one of those on one of my cascade plants too. Someone else here called it an "angel cone" because it has wings (leaves). Apparently it happens pretty regularly.

Yeah you can kinda see wings in the second pic. My first thought was "Batman", but I can see "angel" too. :)

My Tett plant that really came in this year has cones like that on the tip of every bine, I think that it has something to do with being the last cone on the bine.

Here is a pic of mine, unfortunately I had pruned the leaves out of it when I took this pic:
picture.php

Angel cones happen on most hops. They are common on Magnum. Just pick the leaves out.

Back