Campden tablets: how much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use half a tab for 5-10 gallons. Every time I have tried to quarter one it turns to powder so I just use half a tab for anything under 10 gallons

I use one tablet in about 14 gallons strike/sparge water. You are using this to get rid of chlorine right? I have read that one tablet will treat 20 gallons for chlorine.

Since you have a pill cutter (wussy)...I would use x/20 of a tablet. X being the number of gallons you are treating;). Sorry I had a few.

I prefer to crush the tablets and use weight to water ratio.

0.44g/20 gal = x/H2O vol.

Then do crossies, cancellation, and division.

I use potassium metabisulfite in powder form and weigh it out like Gila does. .44g/20 gallon or .022g/gallon.

I was talking about this to my LHBS. He said just leave your water out o/n with nothing added and that will get rid of chloramine. Any thoughts on this?

I think chloramines are much harder to get rid of then chlorine so I don't think the old trick of leaving your water out overnight will work. My water has chloramines so I just treat it with Campden tabs. I haven't noticed any off flavors

I think I'm using them to remove chloramines. I had some "remarks" in some judging sheets about some off flavors from "poor fermentation." I have a ferm fridge and I always use starters, so I thought I would try this. Thanks for the input, I'll likely go with 1/2 for ~10 gallons of water for the batch.

Back