Brew Stand Welding Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_striker

Reaction score
For those of you that have made 3 tier gravity stands, how did you weld the vertical section to the base?

Did you weld a t joint or did you sandwich the vertical section using two corner joint welds?

t joint:
images

two corner joints: (imagine another piece welded to the right side)
images

I understand the question, more or less need the design you are ultimately going for to answer.

Something like the one below...I guess my real question is will a t joint be strong enough. I'm using 1.5" 11 gauge square tubing.

brewstand.jpg

T joint would probably be best. More beer stands are over engineered greatly so I'm sure you be fine. You really aren't holding up that much weight.

Note how the base of the stand in your photo sags?
If you angle the legs downward it will create a preload preventing the sag.

BusseStand.jpg

Yeah, a tee joint with all of the heat on the top will probably tend to pull things when it shrinks after welding and cause the lower rail to bow upwards like the pic. I'm a hobby weldor and it's one of the things I haven't mastered. More beer, argon, filler rod & practice will probably help......:D

Note how the base of the stand in your photo sags?
If you angle the legs downward it will create a preload preventing the sag.

Actually that looks like the camera's barrel distortion. If you look at the top of the garage door it's also curved in the opposite direction. I bet if you took a straight edge to it you're straight.

Although, preloading is a good idea :)

Back