Added Hopps too early? Will beer be okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoQuinn

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am making a high gravity porter and I added the hops too early. Will my beer turn out okay.

How much too early?

Bittering hops? Flavor hops? Aroma?

In general, the longer hops are boiled, the more bitterness is extracted, and the less flavor and aroma is left behind.

Well, The recepie called for 1 ouce added at boil, 1/2 oz added at the last 20 minutes of boil, and 1/2 ounce added at the last 10 minutes of boil. I added them all at once? This is a very dark beer that is high gravity.

The result will be more bitter than the recipe's expected result, possibly a lot more bitter depending on the hop variety. The beer will have no hop flavor/aroma other than bitterness.

Oddly enough, I had this same problem. I want to dry hop to try and correct the problem. If I dry hop in the secondary will it add more bitterness though? What is a hop tea?

Oddly enough, I had this same problem. I want to dry hop to try and correct the problem. If I dry hop in the secondary will it add more bitterness though? What is a hop tea?

No, bittering is only extracted from the hops while the wort is boiling. Dryhopping will give hops aroma and flavor, without any bitterness at all.

A hop tea is boiling up some hops, in some water, and then adding it to the brew. I've never done it, but it would work if the beer is underhopped. I've also read that some people with a french press have used that with their hops to get some hops flavor and aroma and add it to the beer.

Depending on your recipe, you may not have messed up too badly, though! Some recipes (like stouts, or brown ales) are very forgiving when it comes to hopping.

It's going to be a little more bitter than what the recipe called for. You can't do anything about it now, and it most likely won't turn out bad either. I agree with doing some sort of dry hopping because you won't have much aroma left.

Not a big deal for a porter. Some extra IBUs and little or no flavor/aroma. Porters are all about malt, caramel and dark roasty flavors.

Thanks. It's a high gravity porter, so the extra bitterness shouldn't be a huge problem. I had added the aroma hops along with the other half of the bettering hops about 30 min into the boils (so maybe the bitterness won't be too bad). I'll try dry hopping in the 2ndary per your suggestion. Thanks!

definitely dry hop it,

although if you would like, you can send the beer to me and I will taste it to determine if it has to much hops (you will have to be over 110 IBUs to get my pallet a rumblin')

should be fine though, just dry hop and see what happens

now what is really going to bake your noodle later is, will the beer have been better if you followed the hoping schedule listed

that means you have to brew another batch...darn

Latest posts

Back