Bayou Classic Propane Cooker - 185,000 BTU's $49.95?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kush

Reaction score
The square one is the SQ14, while the round one is the SP10. They use a different style burner, with different pressure regulators. The SP10 is nice, but isn't as efficient on propane, and the round surface doesn't fit a keggle without something else holding it (like a grill grate).

Thats the model SP10,
I bought one at a garage sale and the manual that came with it says 185,000 btu`s

I modified mine with 4 pieces of bedframe steel 16in. long
to hole the keggle. I also raised the burner 2in.

it`ll do till i get my stand built.

I dont plan on (as far as I can see) brewing from a keggle. I am just going to keep brewing wort from a 7 gal stainless pot and keg them to cornies. So im assuming that I will be fine if I dont plan on using a keggle? Fiance wants me to move my brewing to the garage since we just bought our first house.

SQ14 >>>>>>>>>> SP 10

Definitely go for the 14, ESPECIALLY if you have a keggle.

Care to give a reason why since the OP says he's not going to be using a keggle? The SQ14 really doesn't have the advantage beyond that.

heats up thing almost as fast but uses WAY less propane.

And if you just leave the SP10 at the same level as the SQ14, why would it be using more propane? You have the ability to crank it up with the SP10, but you don't have to if you're that worried about propane usage/waste heat.

And if you just leave the SP10 at the same level as the SQ14, why would it be using more propane? You have the ability to crank it up with the SP10, but you don't have to if you're that worried about propane usage/waste heat.

From What I understand te burner on the sq14 is much wider, allowing for a mch smaller flame.

Correct. It's a different style of burner- which also allows for much better flame control. Hell, you could simmer with it if you wanted to. With my SQ14 in a fenced in patio, I barely had to keep the tank cracked open to keep 8 gallons at a ROLLING boil. It's also very quiet- it doesn't sound like a jet engine until you really crank it open.

I dont plan on (as far as I can see) brewing from a keggle. I am just going to keep brewing wort from a 7 gal stainless pot and keg them to cornies. So im assuming that I will be fine if I dont plan on using a keggle? Fiance wants me to move my brewing to the garage since we just bought our first house.

hey, i gotta move to the garage too, in our first house. It's funny how the women throw us in the garage. No worries, my garage is fireproof. So i'm gonna get me a 500,000 BTU burner!!! j/k

Fiance wants me to move my brewing to the garage since we just bought our first house.

You may want to look into the laws (fire code?) governing where you can use a propane burner. It's not just the carbon monoxide, but also the possibility of a leaky/cracked hose causing a flamethrower that could ignite your garage.

Back