beer from a cider/mead maker? noob question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freezeblade

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm new here, and decided to try my hand brewing a beer, normally I stick around the cider/mead area, but decided to branch out. I posted a recipe up here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=67129 and before going for a whole 5 gallon batch, did a 1 gallon, just to make sure it works. Instead of using a whole white labs tube, I propagated up some yeast from a Saison Dupont. Enough preface, the question at hand:

All seemed to have worked well, I mashed the grains for 60 mins then added the herbs/spices, went for a while longer (15-20 mins) added DME, let it cool then strained out the solids with a fine mesh bag, put in the primary, added the yeast and let it sit. When I got up this morning, there is a layer of solids (or so it seems) on the bottom of the carboy which is lighter than the upper layers. I'm wondering what I should have done differently? The stuff on the bottom looks like when you're making a wine from fresh fruit and the pulp settles, I'd compare it to beer terms, but wine/mead/cider is all I've done to date. I've read a bunch of threads, so I know not to ask "have I killed it" as it's probably drinkable after racking, due to the DME and honey. But advice would be great. Help!

Is that just the yeast? If its solids, then they should settle out into the yeast cake over he next 2-4 weeks. Leave it alone.

rdwhahb.gif

Is it fermenting? Sounds like just trub and yeast to me. Id hang in there and wait it out.

The yeast is fermenting fine, it's a top fermenter, and it's got a healthy Krauesen on top. The amount of light stuff on the bottom is about 1-1.5 inches, in the one gallon carboy, just seemed like alot to me, even going from my experience with fresh pressed un-filtered juice fermenting.

Did you boil at all? What did you mash for 60 minutes? I'm just a little confused.

I have the same question...did you boil this? I see no mention of boiling, just mashing for 60 minutes, and an extra 15 to steep your herbs.

And if that info is more clear in the recipe post you linked to, well I am too lazy to click...can you post all the info here in one spot if anything is missing?

I boiled the grains for 60 mins, sorry for the lack of clarification. By now the bottom bit has shrunk to about 3/4 of an inch on the bottom, the fermentation is really speeding up due to the heat we've got today here.

Well, I bet all that stuff on the bottom is husks from the grains.

Next time, don't boil any grains at all. Just steep them for 30 minutes at 150-155 degrees, drain, and then proceed. Grains shouldn't be boiled.

I'm not sure about the recipe, so I can't help you there.

Did you actually boil the grains, or do you mean you boiled the 'wort' that was made from steeping or mashing the grains?

I'd head over to www.howtobrew.com and get some more information on the beer making process. Up until yeast pitching, there are lots of little things that never apply to cider and mead, but will make or break a batch of beer.

Latest posts

Back