Hunahpu's Day 2015

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey,

if anybody who bought a ticket and has to cancel for whatever reason, I would be interested in buying it along with the tasting booklet (as long as it would still be honored being that my name wouldn't be on the ticket if names are printed this year.)

Names are printed on the tickets. They are supposed to be cross-checking IDs with tickets.

Hey,

if anybody who bought a ticket and has to cancel for whatever reason, I would be interested in buying it along with the tasting booklet (as long as it would still be honored being that my name wouldn't be on the ticket if names are printed this year.)

TD

Names are on the tickets and they have said multiple times that the ticket and ID must match. I wouldn't risk trying to buy one unless you have someone to make you a fake ID.

Guess I'll pass this year and wait to see how the event runs.
I seriously hope they fix the problem of years past.
For tickets holders, be sure to let us know how it goes this time. The tap list is very impressive

I may consider it, but I'm probably not willing to pay much more than what a case would cost since it's effectively a case of Huna.

Yeah, I'm guess they will go for a ton of money.

Yeah I seem to remember them doing something like that a year or two ago where the winner of the auction got to pick what to fill it with.

Yeah, I just looked that one up, that one closed at $2550. That was a barrel tasting with Wayne and then a fill of any BA beer you chose.

A friend and I are going! Looking forward to the bottles AND the incredible tap list!

Who all got a hotel for Saturday night? I was gonna bring some bottles to share but I may be more focused on trying all the taps. I made a top 5 list of beers to try. Hopefully I can drink a few before they run out.

I tried a couple of beers. Let allenH try some Ghost in the Machine.
I know I didn’t get them all, but these are the ones I got pics of…

The reason for the day…

Carton Regular Coffee

Black Note

Beer Michigan

Traverse City

Mosaic Promise IPA

BBA Dark Apparition

TG Regifter

Vlad the Impaler

Dark Age stout:

NOLA Sours (I know I missed a couple pics):

Heady

BBA Jose Marti

I know for sure I missed the Ghost I brought and a couple of CCB beers, but that’ll do.

Had tons of beers today, the place looked packed but the lines went quick. I think the longest I waited was 8-10 minutes? The CCB BA line only had 8 people in it for a while, you couldn't drink it before you got back to the front of the line. It was nice meeting you today TobyG, and thanks for the pour of Ghost in the Machine!

So compared to the fiasco of last year, would any who attended care to comment about the smoothness of operations, crowds, bottle pickup, getting tastes of the rare guest tap stuff, and food trucks?

How did they deal with folding chairs, and coolers, and outside bottle sharing?
I had never been until last year and was a total crap fest, but I am really hoping that was fixed this year. The tap list this year looked epic beyond any wildest dreams.

TD

So compared to the fiasco of last year, would any who attended care to comment about the smoothness of operations, crowds, bottle pickup, getting tastes of the rare guest tap stuff, and food trucks?

I had never been until last year and was a total crap fest, but I am really hoping that was fixed this year. The tap list this year looked epic beyond any wildest dreams.

TD

The only bad parts of today was the line to get in, it took me 45 minutes, and the food line, it was incredibly long so I skipped it. Everything else went really smooth, longest line I was in was around 8 minutes. It seemed like way more than 2k people, but you could still move around freely. Bottle pick up was a breeze, they handed you the loaded bottle bag at the exit.
No folding chairs, no coolers. They had some covered seating areas and random bar tables set up in between the taps. I didn't participate in any bottle shares, but they happened in the covered seating areas for the most part.
Some of the whales went quick, but there were tons of great beers available throughout the entire event.

Crowds were OK and bottle pickup was smooth. A few beers blew really early (CBS among others), but overall it was decent. There were no food trucks. Cigar City Catering handled the food. I ate right before I went, so wound up not using the meal ticket (included in the admission). They didn't allow any coolers other than small soft-sided ones. I brought my backpack cooler so no hassles with sharing.

Sounds like I will be trying to get a ticket for next year. This year sounds like what I was hoping last year would be.

So this year you got four bottles of the Hunaphu, but was there any double barrel stuff? I heard last year they had that and you could choose, though I didn't find out until I got home.

I grew up in Grand Rapids before the beer scene ever developed I had moved, but I still have a bunch of friends who live there, and hope to someday score some CBS, which they all rave about. In order to get it will probably require a ticket to next year's event to setup a trade however.

Yeah, I imagine the whales went fast, which can be expected when there is so much hype about a particular beer, even if well deserved seems that people want to know what the fuss is all about. This year the list was amazing. Last year I hadn't much recognized many of the names, but only shortly after that did I begin to dabble in trading, so maybe that is part of what my ignorance was on the lists at the 2014 H Day.

I was ill prepared for last years event though by all common sense what explained was that I shouldn't have needed to be. I arrived late, by which point a line over a mile long had developed and when I got in I was starving. If I can get a ticket next year, I'm headed down the night before eating well for dinner and breakfast and going to bed early enough to get into line early so as to enjoy some whales before the crowds build.

Super happy that the CCB folks continued the event and handled with greater responsibility this year, and that they make a cult beer that helps put FL on the map. Huge Kudos to CCB for re-inventing the day to make it enjoyable.

TD

I just watched a video on you tube from last year when they ran out and man people are just vicious. It is just a beer after all, but that was pretty poor planning by ccb. Glad this years went so much smoother.

Sounds like I will be trying to get a ticket for next year. This year sounds like what I was hoping last year would be.

So this year you got four bottles of the Hunaphu, but was there any double barrel stuff? I heard last year they had that and you could choose, though I didn't find out until I got home.

I grew up in Grand Rapids before the beer scene ever developed I had moved, but I still have a bunch of friends who live there, and hope to someday score some CBS, which they all rave about. In order to get it will probably require a ticket to next year's event to setup a trade however.

Yeah, I imagine the whales went fast, which can be expected when there is so much hype about a particular beer, even if well deserved seems that people want to know what the fuss is all about. This year the list was amazing. Last year I hadn't much recognized many of the names, but only shortly after that did I begin to dabble in trading, so maybe that is part of what my ignorance was on the lists at the 2014 H Day.

I was ill prepared for last years event though by all common sense what explained was that I shouldn't have needed to be. I arrived late, by which point a line over a mile long had developed and when I got in I was starving. If I can get a ticket next year, I'm headed down the night before eating well for dinner and breakfast and going to bed early enough to get into line early so as to enjoy some whales before the crowds build.

Super happy that the CCB folks continued the event and handled with greater responsibility this year, and that they make a cult beer that helps put FL on the map. Huge Kudos to CCB for re-inventing the day to make it enjoyable.

TD

There were no extra bottle sales of any kind at all. You got 4 bottles as part of the ticket, whether you wanted them or not. That took all of the "gaming" out of it. Hopefully they fix the food service and entry time next year.

hope to someday score some CBS, which they all rave about.
Did it not make it down there with this latest release? I know of 3 opportunities to get it in Cincinnati in the last month or so. One at a local bar where I got a pour. The other a BA beer fest I skipped because tickets were expensive. The other is at an Irish bar on St. Patricks day at 8 AM. Not going to take off work and start drinking at 8 AM for it.

As for Huna Day. Glad it went well this year. I have family down there and thought about trying to get tickets for about 1 second. The price and having to travel dissuaded me. And I've been to Dark Lord Day and am just not a huge fan of the huge, crowded festivals.

TD

Lines: According to google earth, line at 10:55 was ~1,900 LF long, averaged 1-2 people/LF so assuming everyone was there on time, line matched the number of tickets (first sign that they solved last's years sneak-in policy)

Entry: Entered line at 10:30, took an hour to get through, most of the line was on private property (so drinks could be consumed, but weren't). Bottleneck at id check, CCB could have staffed that better.

Layout: With 64 booths, some had 50 people lines, some had zero. No food trucks on so that freed up a lot of queuing space (good call CCB). Booths were oriented opposite from each other with a few cafe bar tables midway for the north half of the lot. On the south end, booths wrapped three sides, which caused lines to blend together (many had to ask "is this the funky buddha line?")

Food: Good enough, but the line was too long for the whole day (moved quick, but caused a pinch)

Seating: I was pretty able-bodied, so didn't need to sit, but there was a biergarten on the south end where you could. Unfortunately it was next to port-l-lets

Glass Half Full: Very easy to always have something in your glass, usually a open booth was nearby and other line members would do mini-beer runs. Very respectful group in attendance

Beer: Great as to be expected (Personal Fest Fave, Wide Awake)

Bottles: Didn't see much trading, probably because it was so easy to get a beer

Backpacks: No one brought anything too cumbersome to get around in the line

Water: Every booth had a gallon jug for rinsing or gulping, as needed. Very helpful

Notebooks: useful but some of the booths did not match, 4 out 5 stars

My suggestions for 2016:
1) Open and secure one of the bottling buildings and setup a biergarten in there, prob put food in there too (not enough shade options)
2) let people come onsite prior to 11 (hire some temps to be ready for this) or
3) send id-checkers backwards through line prior to opening
4) cut something other than the cool wristband to get bottles, what a waste that was
5) don't do a handstamp, it stained everyone's pockets and pants
6) only arrange the booths parallel to each other
7) arrange booths in order of importance so home brew clubs short line can be next to CCB 2xBA Huna Line... so long lines aren't next to long lines, with wide open spaces at the other end of festival

4 out 5 stars, overall. Solve the line issues, in and out of gate, and its near perfect. Thanks CCB! Wish I the merch line wasn't so long, really wanted a CCB Sucks shirt!

I'll throw it out there again. If any of you have extras I have a big cellar of sours that are up for trade. PM me and I can get you a list.

My only suggestion would be to hold the event at a bigger venue. Their site just can't hold that many. Especially if they want to grow the event. I would even pay a little more if it was a longer more relaxed event.

My brother sold one for 50 right out of the door. He was happy.

I bet the person that bought it was happy as well. I've never sold one, only traded them, but I thinks it's funny to see what people are asking/getting for them.

Well he bought 3. He gave the guy before my brother 35. I think he came with 100 and just biught 3 as quickly as possible before police or someone told him to get out.

Back