coke or pepsi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would first recommend a search, as this has been discussed many many times before.

second, as you would find in a search, neither is 'better' or 'worse' than the other. pepsi style are more popular ball lock, coke are less popular pin lock. the QD's are different.

regardless of what type you use, i would recommend going with flared fittings so you can have both in the future. i have roughly 7 pin locks, and 20 ball locks. i use both. ball lock are more prevalent, pin lock need a modified socket to take the posts off and don't usually have a manual pressure release.

they are different sizes, pin lock are shorter and wider, ball lock are more narrow and taller. pin lock have straight liquid dip tubes, ball lock have curved.

In this case, and this case only, I say Pepsi is better. As the others have said, Go with the balls. Pepsis are taller and narrower, cokes are shorter and wider. Other then that they work the same. Pin locks need a special wrench to remove which is a PITA. It can be gotten around, but who wants that hassle?

Brewpastor said:
In this case, and this case only, I say Pepsi is better. As the others have said, Go with the balls. Pepsis are taller and narrower, cokes are shorter and wider. Other then that they work the same. Pin locks need a special wrench to remove which is a PITA. It can be gotten around, but who wants that hassle?
Sounds like we need a female to answer this question...preferably a drunk one...a drunk female, not a drunk question...that is...:drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: (cause I've had 4 brews)...

What special tool to remove the pinlocks? I just got a coke keg (pinlock) and wanted to replace all the rubber so I had to remove the stems. I just carefully used an adjustable wrence (so as not to damage the little nubs) and put some effort behind it. Was this a bad thing to do? I can usually find a way around "special tools," but maybe I should look into this one for the future. Anyone know what its called?

it's called cutting out slots that fit over the pins in the posts. i just used a dremel to make my own. very easy to do, and takes little time.

I use two wrenches for my pinlock kegs.

First is a 10" adjustable wrench. Find two opposite flat sides on your post and fit the wrench down on it from the top. Next, use an open end wrench to grab the adjustable wrench by the body as low as you can get to provide leverage to turn the post.

Make sure the adjustable wrench is firmly seated on the flats and not putting pressure on the pins before pulling on the second wrench. This may take a little effort as the old, sugary drink may have gummed up the posts, but it's worked on all my kegs so far!

My problem with pin locks is simple: there will come a time when you haven't seated the connector all the way and locked it and you'll spray everything down. Ball locks don't open the poppet valve until the balls lock in.

I'm sorry... I couldn't help myself.

pepsi_man.jpg

We have this running battle of the taste of he actual soda in my group of friends because it can affect the choice of restaurant you go to.
I prefer Coke on that point, Pepsi on the cornies though.
If I ever had to admit that I prefer a Pepsi product over Coke, the jig would be up!

I have said pin-lock socket adapter that I will let go for a beer trade of some sort.
It retails for ~$14. Or you can make one from a socket as others have suggested.

PM me if you're interested.

i don't quite understand the animosity against pin locks.

for me, it was a matter of using whatever i could find cheap, either through forums or craigslist. i found both pin lock and ball lock, and recently more ball locks than pin locks, but for a while, it was half and half.

honestly, i actually like the pin lock connectors better. it is a simpler design and i feel it engages more positively for me. ball locks i've had issues of the slider or the retaining ball bearings gumming up or becoming galled and more difficult to put on or take off.

i use flared connectors everywhere on all my equipment, so it didn't matter to me if i used a pin or ball keg, i just switch out the connectors. at my LHBS, the pin connectors are more expensive though. i get a few extra sets of each anyway.

I would say to get whatever keg you can find cheapest. for now, that is most likely ball lock, but if it happens to be pin lock in the future, don't be afraid of using them, they are still good kegs!

gnef said:
i don't quite understand the animosity against pin locks.

for me, it was a matter of using whatever i could find cheap, either through forums or craigslist. i found both pin lock and ball lock, and recently more ball locks than pin locks, but for a while, it was half and half.

honestly, i actually like the pin lock connectors better. it is a simpler design and i feel it engages more positively for me. ball locks i've had issues of the slider or the retaining ball bearings gumming up or becoming galled and more difficult to put on or take off.

i use flared connectors everywhere on all my equipment, so it didn't matter to me if i used a pin or ball keg, i just switch out the connectors. at my LHBS, the pin connectors are more expensive though. i get a few extra sets of each anyway.

I would say to get whatever keg you can find cheapest. for now, that is most likely ball lock, but if it happens to be pin lock in the future, don't be afraid of using them, they are still good kegs!

I would not say there is animosity, but I prefer Pepsi/ball locks having had both types. I agree with the basic notion, go with which ever system you can find the cheapest and call it good.

A good source for parts is Foxx Supply. They are wholesale only but you can get around that with them, just use your brewery name. You have to get a catalog but their prices are really good. They are on the internet, just google Foxx Equipment.

dear MR GNEF
yes i could have did a search couldnt have i? those threads are dead. look at all new info i started with these other fine homebrewers.so dont tell me what i could have done.

slow down there MR BUSMANRAY

are you kidding me? all this info is in the previous threads. there is no new info here, just a rehash of what you could've found in a search. that is if you had done a search and actually read through the information... i'm sure i could find nearly a dozen threads on this if i wanted to. since i already know the info, and before i did, i did a search, i don't feel like doing the work for you.

do you want to know the reason why? i'll let you in on the secret. these kegs have been around for decades, and i'm sure this debate has gone on for as long as homebrewers could get their hands on these kegs.

and seriously. how old are you? i feel like i'm conversing with a small child.

questions are good, i'm not trying to discourage the asking of questions. i'm trying to encourage the searching of the forums. the search feature is there for a reason, and the admins don't delete threads for a reason. utilize the wisdom of previous threads that are here at your disposal.

this thread is very similar to the multiple threads on: balancing a keg system, 'i did something wrong, should i throw it away?', 'there is something growing in my beer, what should i do?', 'can i reuse yeast, and how?', 'when should i bottle?', 'is my beer done?', 'are all white powders the same?', etc.

if you do a search, you can figure out most of your issues if and when they crop up. for the most part people get lazy and just decide to post a new thread because searching and reading through threads with valuable information would take up too much of their time, and they would rather the answers just come to them...

/end rant

hey gnef
get a grip-how old am i ? a child?
maybe u should have checked my profile.
what are u some know it all little snot nose?
i asked a question.alot of us ask the same questions.
whats the big deal?then maybe u shouldnt answer them if u feel they could be found in a search!
ps- ive pissed more beer than u ever drank

one would think that with your age would come maturity.

you are only proving my point about being a child. your responses lack maturity.

do you not realize that i still answered your question? i was pointing out that all the info could be found if you had searched. apparently only stubbornness and irrationality comes with your age...

None of the rest of us want to listen/read your ranting. If you have a concern PM a moderator or deal with it through a PM. Don't make me turn this Thread around...

My motto is: Never argue with an idiot, no matter how old he is, because the people who are watching may not be able to tell the difference! Please go have a beer, kiss and make up!

John

i started off with pin locks mainly because i scored a regulator, 5lb canister full, three kegs, and fittings for free off of freecycle - I've since grown my kegs to 6 and plan on buying an additional 4 pin locks. I've heard pros and cons to both. however the bottom line is - both serve beer nicely. if i had started with ball locks - I'd prob be a ball lock fan.

Back