HP² (Hockey Puck Hop Press)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimal

Reaction score
Well here it is, the budget blue print I just made up for a Hockey Puck Hop Press or HP². It's a simple design and not meant for anything but my own enjoyment and minimizing storage of whole hops (once I build it). Also it's probably not very safe, won't know until I build it.

Basically make a frame out of the 2x4 and 4x4 using 4-5 screws (pre drilled to prevent splitting of the wood) per corner. Mount the 3" PVC cap on the top of the frame with a couple screws from the inside. Mount the bottle jack on the bottom. Now pack the pipe with hops (I don't have fresh hops to measure if a 7" long pipe is enough for an ounce so I used the cousin as a reference) and insert the hockey puck into one end, screw the pipe onto the cap. Now use the screw adjustment on the bottle jack to raise it until flush with the puck and pump up the jack. Bringing you to the end result of an almost hockey puck, puck of hops just .5" thicker. Unless you use a 6.5" piece of PVC instead to make a correct dimension puck.
hockeypuckpress.png

Edited: OP posted use.

OP.. i reread the first sentence and i couldn't figure out just from reading it what it was for (compressing leaf hops or pressing hops post boil)

small side note, A small bottle jack has a small "ram" (the piston thing). this will limit the overall length of your tube.

if you want a longer tube (for pressing hop logs?) use a "long ram bottle jack"

google it, the things rock

yeah... i can't figure out why i need this either.

small side note, A small bottle jack has a small "ram" (the piston thing). this will limit the overall length of your tube.

if you want a longer tube (for what i have yet to determine... hop log?) use a "long ram bottle jack"

google it, the things rock

I had thought of using a long stroke (long ram) bottle jack but wanted to keep things small. Plus the 4.5" lift was enough for what I wanted to accomplish (hop hockey pucks).

actually...google doesn't give much info. Is it just for storage, kinda like plugs? Or would you make a puck in a set weight, say 1 oz. for easy and clean additions?

Back