bulk grain buy - north dallas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayabusa

Reaction score
I am interested in a bulk-grain buy - anyone in the north dallas area intersted in the same so we can get an order placed?

Added you both to the list - i am researching the best deal (and am open to suggestions)

Cap and Hare is a good club. Also, Foreman's in Colleyville has good, inexpensive grains, and as a member of Cap and Hare, you get 10% off, even on sack prices.

I buy my grains from there, I just got some Weyermann Pale malt for $1.29 lb, and that wasn't a bulk or discount price.

I am waiting for final numbers from a local resource and will post shortly on the grains and cost - They are willing to do minimum orders of 2000lb's which is easily attainable I think. Should know more tomorrow.

So far this is what I have for participants based on this thread. The feedbac from the seller is a pallett with 40 50# bags of malted barley would be .75#+tax+shipping.

Shipping varies since they use flexible shipping, meaning they always look for the cheapest shipping company.

undallas - 200
jeff967 - 300
avaserfi - 100 (estimate)
auto - 100 (estimate)
hayabusa - 200

So we have 900lbs towards a 2000 lb order. They can do a 1000/lb order but the shipping cost would be the same so 2000lb would be ideal.

The total order will be 1500+tax (~$140 at 8.5) + shipping

Any others interested?

50# bags; 40 on the pallet, 2-row malted barley

We can only get the one type of grain, there are no other options? I am sure myself and others would be far more willing to buy grain if there was a variety available. Both base and specialty grains would be nice as well.

We can only get the one type of grain, there are no other options? I am sure myself and others would be far more willing to buy grain if there was a variety available. Both base and specialty grains would be nice as well.

unfortunatly just the base grain is what is available.... I would like to place an order in 3 weeks if I can get enough people involved.

I might be interested, depending somewhat on how bad shipping is. Homebrew HQ has 2 row for $0.98 - 10% NTHBA discount = $0.88 + 8.25% tax = $0.954 per lb when you buy 50 lbs or more.

Homebrew Headquarters: Product Details

By contrast, this is $0.75 + tax + shipping = $0.811 + shipping.

So the savings here is ($0.954 - $0.811 - (shipping per lb)) = $0.143 - shipping.

This is all assuming that these malts are comparable, any thoughts on that?

Any estimates on what shipping might run?

EDIT: I might be interested in 2-3 bags or so, unless shipping is awful :)

I thought we would have more varieties here... If it is just the base malt, I probably only need 100... not 200#. 200# includes (50# f marris otter and 50# of vienna)

I might be interested, depending somewhat on how bad shipping is. Homebrew HQ has 2 row for $0.98 - 10% NTHBA discount = $0.88 + 8.25% tax = $0.954 per lb when you buy 50 lbs or more.

Homebrew Headquarters: Product Details

By contrast, this is $0.75 + tax + shipping = $0.811 + shipping.

So the savings here is ($0.954 - $0.811 - (shipping per lb)) = $0.143 - shipping.

This is all assuming that these malts are comparable, any thoughts on that?

Any estimates on what shipping might run?

EDIT: I might be interested in 2-3 bags or so, unless shipping is awful :)

I think you do not pay sales on grain.

I may be in for this. Need more details. Brand? Only base malt? What vendor are you talking with? The Austin Group used North Country. You could buy anything they sold.

I wasn't able to get enough people invovled to arrange 2000lbs; it's base malt only and its from a local brewery in North Texas.

I intentionally resurrected it to see if there was any interest as I don't have a source for bulk grain.

Back