Calculating ABV after Barrel Aging w/ Dextrose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

br3ds0x

Reaction score
Was curious if anyone could confirm/negate my thinking about this. Say you had a finished beer at 7.2% (1.080 to 1.025). If you barrel aged the beer and added some more dextrose and champage yeast, could you more or less calculate the abv the same way? For example, 1# per gallon of dextrose is 1.037. Say you added 1.2# per gallon, this would increase your beer to about 1.043 (1.025 + 1.018 from adding the dextrose). If this then fermented out to say 1.020, could you take 1.043 to 1.020 which is 3% and say your beer increased by 3%?

Reason I ask is I was at a brewery and they have a sign on their barrels saying what beer is in there and they all said there was dextrose and champagne yeast added when it was barreled. So got me to thinking about this and if my thinking and math makes sense of how you would determine the increased alcohol percentage?

Take the added gravity of your sugar addition; using your example, say adding 5 lbs of dextrose to 5 gallons of beer (which is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy excessive), you would take .037 Add this to your original OG.

OR more reasonable amount would be adding 1 lb, which would add .007 to a 5 gallon batch.

After fermentation is complete, take the FG as normal and calculate the abv as you normally would.

To get a rough estimate, just assume your addition will ferment out completely, so adding 1 lb of dextrose to 5 gallons will add roughly 1% abv.

Started a Mai bock beer, and needed quick turn around time. Used notty ale yeast, and pitched yeast at 58 degrees. Sat at 58 in fridge for first 12 hrs, and then power went out while I was at work. When I got home, temp was up to 70. I immediately started working temp back down to 58, but fear fruity ester off flavors could have been formed... Anyone one have similar experience they could ease my mind with??

Started a Mai bock beer, and needed quick turn around time. Used notty ale yeast, and pitched yeast at 58 degrees. Sat at 58 in fridge for first 12 hrs, and then power went out while I was at work. When I got home, temp was up to 70. I immediately started working temp back down to 58, but fear fruity ester off flavors could have been formed... Anyone one have similar experience they could ease my mind with??

Why'd you post this here?

You made an ale.

Back