Buying grains in bulk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
IM looking into buying a grain mill and was wondering how much money those if you who buy bulk actually saved? What is the average cost of a 5.5 gallon batch?

I buy base malt by the sack instead of by the pound - ends up costing only half as much. By reusing yeast, a 5 gallon batch of normal-gravity, non-IPA ale can reasonably be made for under $20.

Also, don't forget about buying hops in bulk. Believe it or not, but you can also make IPAs very cheaply. Keep in contact with your LHBS (get on their email list) as mine always has certain sales depending on their stock (e.g., I recently bought 50 lbs of white wheat for $32 as they had too much on hand).

Beers around 5% I can do under $10 for a 5gal batch. I buy hops in bulk too, and reuse yeast.

right now im buying my grains and hops by the recipe, i usually try to reuse my yeast, and its costing me from 24 - 40 $ a batch, so i think its would be a worth while investment to get a grain mill, and start buying bulk.

An entry level grain mill will pay for itself in 15-20 batches assuming you purchase base malt in bulk and even quicker if you get in on a group bulk buy.

Latest posts

Back