Effects from boil over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobrew

Reaction score
What effects on the brew does a boil over have if any?? Turned away for no more than a coulpe of minutes and it was boiling over. At least it was outside.
Will it effect the outcome at all???
Thanks
ToBrew

I know the effects of a boil over in the kitchen.............makes the wife kind of unhappy....:drunk:

Glad it happened outside. Rather have the brown snow on the deck then a P---ed of SO!!!

A PITA mess to clean.

I wouldnt worry about a whole lot more than that. Boilovers happen to ALL of us. Get some of those anti foam drops. Revvy swears by them and can even take a nap during his boils.
-Me

Related questions: I had my first boilover yesterday while brewing batch no. 3, an Irish Red Ale LME kit from Midwest. It came after the LME had been added, when I tossed in the bittering hops. I was standing right there with a spoon, spray bottle, and most importantly, the burner knob on the gas stove, but still -- foom! -- just that fast. It was just a little bitty boilover, but still something I could've done without. Yeah, the bit I had to clean up was a smelly stubborn PITA, woulda hated to had a real mess on my hands. As it was, I just swapped burners and cleaned up while continuing the boil uninterrupted.

Q1: I'm thinking to either add hops gradually next time, or turn off the fire when adding them, as I do when adding extract. Any comments?

Q2: The only hints of boilover I've gotten so far come when adding hops early in the boil, after that all seems well in control. When the boil "settles down to business" I feel safe in leaving it (I never leave anything totally unattended on a lit stove, so I'm not talking about going bowling or anything). Is there danger lurking I need to know about?

Q3: Yesterday I covered the kettle with a good-fitting vented lid and turned the fire way down, and the thing boiled merrily for an hour without my doing anything more than checking it two or three times. I never hear anyone talk about covering kettles, so any comments? Sure seemed to work well.

Hello everyone. First time poster. I made up my first batch yesterday. Its an American Nut Brown Ale. I have read about the boil over and had been warned several times. So iw as ready as I coudl be. Well, nothing happened. It got a little foamy but nothign to worry about at all. Does this mean somethings wrong? The yeast are doing their thing now and the CO2 is being released jsut fine. Just worried about the fact that it wasnt even close to boiling over. Thanks for any input.

HoppyCamper...
covering the pot during the boil is not advisable due to the formation of DMS. Basicly you want to vent undesirable byproduct of the boil and not contain them.

1stTimer...
Just be happy you did not have issues w/ boilover. My guess is that your stove may not have the testosterone to really get you in trouble??

I was kind of thinking that myself. It was boiling like an SOB though. Ill consider myself lucky I guess. Just hope it doesnt affect the outcome. THis site is sweet. Just foudn it today. Probably the most helpful thing I have seen.

Boilovers normally occur before hotbreak formation and after hop additions. Before hotbreak there is a large amount of protein(foam) still suspended in the wort making boilover easy. Hop additions provide huge numbers of nucleation sites(inceasing the ease of a boil). Keep these thoughts in your mind when brewing and it will reduce boilovers. FermenCap or other foam control work really well and leave the napping to Revvy.

Back