SMaSHing Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
NO
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
NO
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Bottle Conditioned
Tasting Notes
A very Balanced delicious bier.
Let me say I'm not sure where I should list this recipe as there's not a Blonde recipe database folder... if there's a better place let me know.

This is a simple SMaSH (Single Malt and Single Hop) bier I made to get a feel for the ingredients. I actually made sure this was a very relaxed brew day as I'm usually VERY anal about having everything JUST RIGHT. I decided to relax and only worry about hitting my temps... you know the really important stuff. Thusly I didn't take an OG reading. While I expected this to be a drinkable bier I didn't expect the quality of fantastic taste, good head, and fabulous mouthfeel I got from this beer.

Recipe as follows:
11# Am. 2 Row
1 oz. German Tradition hops @ 65 mins.
.33 oz German Tradition hops @ 23 mins.
.33 oz German Tradition hops @ 8 mins.
.33 oz German Tradition hops dry hopped in the primary, note this was done just as the initial fermentation had slowed about 1-1 1/2 day from it's peak, referred to as hot side dry hopping.
Yeast US-05

Mash Temp 151-152. (actually intended to mash at 154, but missed target)
Fermentation Temps 65-68 degrees
OG 1.056 (estimate)
FG 1.008
ABV 5.7%
SRM 6
IBU 27
Bottle Conditioned with 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon corn sugar.

I was really afraid this beer would wind up thin or watery with me being a little low on the mash temp target and it having no caramel/dark malts for backbone. This simply isn't the case. I was not familiar with these hops, but have now fell in love with them as they have a real candy sweetness and wonderful earthen spicy notes. This will be brewed again soon and possibly become the house ale. Enjoy the pics below of the label, the lacing, and a pic of the bier at 1 week (under carbed without full head).

BlondeAleFinal.jpg

BlondeAle.jpg

This is at 1 week in bottle and isn't fully carbed, chill haze dissipates as it warms. Looks a little dark in the pic, it really is about 6 SRM.
BlondeAleLacing.jpg

Best lacing I've ever had in one of my biers.

I am thinking about doing something similar to this but perhaps lower in alcohol and IBU. I have lots of German hallertau, so something like 20 - 22 lbs of 2row and enough hops to reach 20ish IBU.

Wow just viewing my replies from yesterday, & this pops up from what almost a year ago... Ya never know! I say go for it. I really enjoyed mine! I wasn't sure I'd like it due to the blandness of most commercially available blonde ales. Seems the micro's all treat them as the introductory craft bier and don't make em too flavorful. Both my blondes have kicked rear end! This one had a very nice floral element to it along with the mild earthiness & sweetness, hops obviously.

Fwiw that pic of it in the glass is WAY darker than it actually was. This stuff was 6 SRM, 7 tops, with a compact white head... rather pretty, but then aren't they all!!!!!

Brew on brother,
Phillip

Back