My Dad’s 70th – German Ale (Recipe Reality Check)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The old man is turning 70 at the end of October and I want to brew a beer for the occasion. He’s born and raised in Wisconsin and of strong German heritage. He’s a “Miller High Life” man but does like my lighter ale homebrews.

I figured I’d brew up a light hybrid (Kolsch style) ale for the BBQ / bonfire we’re having. Shooting for about a 4.4% beer with a light-to-medium body and not a lot of citrus.

Anything I’m missing from the following? (I know I should be using a Pilsner Malt for a more authentic “German” ale, but I’m sitting on two huge sacks of Briess Two row)

Batch Size: 11.25 gal
Boil Size: 12.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
15.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM
2.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)

1.00 oz Northern Brewer [7.50%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [7.50%] (30 min)
0.50 oz Tettnang [6.50%] (15 min)
0.50 oz Tettnang [6.50%] (5 min)

BM-

When i get home i can give you my recipe that scored a 41 on the BJCP score card.

I lost some points becuase i entered a keg in my local comp and it was cloudy do to transportation otherwise it could have scored higher. let me know if you are interested.

Reverend JC said:
BM-

When i get home i can give you my recipe that scored a 41 on the BJCP score card.

I lost some points becuase i entered a keg in my local comp and it was cloudy do to transportation otherwise it could have scored higher. let me know if you are interested.
Absolutely.

Thanks.

It looks like a nice, clean recipe to me. Hopefully the old man doesn't knock back too many of them! :drunk:

HarvInSTL said:
I've got maybe 20lbs or so of German Pilsner malt if you want to you use it rather than US 2 row.
Thanks. That's very generous.

I think I'll stick with the 2-row this time around, as I'm probably going to assemble this stuff tonight and brew tomorrow night after work.

I appreciate the offer though.

(Let's hope the old mand hasn't developed a keen sense for malted barley)

crap! forgot to post the recipe. I will do it tonight my good man. the only thing you dont have that i used was the pilsner malt and i used spalt hops too.

When i get home......i promise!

Reverend JC said:
crap! forgot to post the recipe. I will do it tonight my good man. the only thing you dont have that i used was the pilsner malt and i used spalt hops too.

When i get home......i promise!
No problem. ;)

I do like the spalt. Hopefully Tettnang is a suitable substitute since I have a pound being delivered today.

let me see if i can remember the recipe:

It was a 10 gallon batch.

17.5 pilsner malt
1 lb wheat
1lb munich

single infusion at 149 for 60

boil for 60

i used spalt at 60 for bittering

and some czech saaz at 25 for flavor

total the IBU was 22.5

fermented at 65 for 3 weeks transfered to keg and lagered for 4 weeks at 36 degrees.

I used the white labs tube of kolsch yeast (2nd gen) and maybe overpitched as i didnt have alot of the fruityness i had hoped for from the yeast because it fermented out to fast.

It was very very crisp, dry and slighty fruity. ummmm, wish i had onr right now.

edit: If i was you BM i may stay with the Tett through the whole recipe and use no northern. Keep with the german hops. the low mash temp of 149 i think is key for the style.

Back