Affordable grain mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmv

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I was browsing the forums looking for an affordable grain mill, but only spotted some threads from 2010. Things could have changed since then.

Any recommendations on a grain mill for under $100?

barley crusher mill with a 7lb hopper is just over $100 and it comes with a base for a 5 gallon bucket.

The only thing under $100 is a corona style mill but you need to make a hopper and maybe a base.

barley crusher mill with a 7lb hopper is just over $100 and it comes with a base for a 5 gallon bucket.

The only thing under $100 is a corona style mill but you need to make a hopper and maybe a base.

link?

Edit: This one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Join the Ugly Junk (AKA Corona Mill) crew. It takes some DIY mentality but I'm hitting 85% consistently with it. Best little $20 mill ever.

Crankandstein 2s at brewmasters warehouse. It's practically free shipping if you have the military discount. That mill works good for me

http://www.homebrewing.org/Cereal-Killer-Grain-Mill_p_2310.html?AffId=160

This one comes with a 7 lbs hopper and a base. I cant tell you how well the mill works but it looks like a good deal.

price only matters in the absence of value.

OP...I am also about to buy a grain mill. I am more concerned about how well one will stand up over time than I am about cost. How much money is it going to save you to buy an 80 dollar mill that craps out and makes you realized you should have spend 60 bucks more the first time around.

Im leaning towards the monster mill 2.

+1 for the Corona. I didn't motorize it because I like adding a physical component to brewing beer. A homebrew tastes great after crushing 12lbs of grain by hand!

Thanks for the recommendations.

I ended up paying a few extra and going with the Midwest Barley Crusher w/7lb hopper. Seems like a very solid mill that will last a lifetime.

+1 for the Corona. I didn't motorize it because I like adding a physical component to brewing beer. A homebrew tastes great after crushing 12lbs of grain by hand!

yea if you can lift the glass!!

also corona FTW! cheap and descreate also made a mount in a bucket inside a bucket to house thegrinder and keep all the dust contained, couple buck upgrade and im sure ill never have to replace it!

Physical component...you mean like lifting 5 gallons of water and 12 pounds of grain? :D

This is the job I save for my bro when he comes up to help me. You want beer bro? You gotta earn it! Anyone else use a milk jug for a hopper? Cut the top and bottom off the jug, duct tape to the inside of the "hopper" and you're in business! FUGLY as it is, I'm proud of my junker.

Back