Corona Mill, how does this look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendesm

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just got my mill in and did a test grind without any mods to it. This is what the ground grain looks like. What do you think? Good/Bad?

Edit: Picture not showing. Working on it.

Edit 2: There it is! But this version of it looks a little better https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/corona-mill-first-grind-55245.html

photo.jpg

Looks like a pretty coarse grind but that can be a good thing if you have problems with stuck sparges. What kind of MLT are you planning on using?

10gl cooler with one of the braid of one of those stainless faucet hoses.

I had the same setup and never ran into a stuck sparge until I made a stout with 2 pounds of flaked barley and no rice hulls, otherwise that stainless braid was pretty bulletproof. I'd do a batch with the grind you have and keep records so that you can figure out your efficiency. If you don't have a problem with a stuck sparge and your efficiency is low you can tighten up your grind on the next batch. That's how I zeroed in on the setting for my mill but results will vary depending if you are using wheat or adjunct between different batches.

Best wishes.

I had the same setup and never ran into a stuck sparge until I made a stout with 2 pounds of flaked barley and no rice hulls, otherwise that stainless braid was pretty bulletproof. I'd do a batch with the grind you have and keep records so that you can figure out your efficiency. If you don't have a problem with a stuck sparge and your efficiency is low you can tighten up your grind on the next batch. That's how I zeroed in on the setting for my mill but results will vary depending if you are using wheat or adjunct between different batches.

Best wishes.

huh, good to know. I'm planning on a chocolate cherry sweet stout for tomorrow of monday, so i'll keep that in mind.

Thanks.

Sounds like an awesome brew- can you post the recipe?

Sure thing. Here it is. The only thing not there is the cocoa nibs I'll be using in secondary and I might add 1/2 a vanilla bean too, depending on it tastes after primary.

Made it tonight, BIAB style. It says the brewhouse efficiency is 65%, but it actually came out at 70%.

Capture.jpg

Looks great, in my opinion a consistent efficiency is much more important than a high efficiency that fluctuates between batches. If you tighten your crush you may get a few more points but 70% is pretty good considering BIAB.

Well... while we won't know how good the beer is for another 3 weeks or so, I can tell you that the spent grain bread made with it's grains is excellent! Had some with Nutella a little while ago and I almost creamed my pants :D

bread.jpg

Back