help with hydrometer readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alipay

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I started my first batch of cider today. Im using a 25 litre plastic fermenter with a tap at the bottom. To take my hydrometer reading I am wondering if i should take the reading from a sample out of the tap or from the top of the fermenter. From my tap sample I got a reading of 1060 but when I put the hydrometer into the top of the fermenter it read 1040. Which reading should I use?

Any advice will be great

many ppl seem to think that taking a sample from the middle gives a good average reading. you can do this by using either a wine thief, or if $ is tight you can use a baster

My personal preference in taking a sample is by siphoning out from the middle using a sanitized 1/4" ID clear tubing. Since I never return the sample to the carboy I start the siphon with my mouth or a 60cc syringe.

If you are taking an OG reading and getting 2 different SG's I would bet the wort has been poorly mixed... assuming you did a partial boil and topped off with H2O.

Back