What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make a yeast starter for a Kolsch that I'm going to brew on the weekend!

16464614_1872831379640958_8309051698005934080_n.jpg

Kal

Kegged up a pale ale early this morning to free up a fermentor so I can brew this weekend. Spending a little time over lunch putting together the recipe for my Azacca Blonde.

So I Kegged my brown ipa today, I dry hopped it but was trying to figure out a way to keg it without getting all the hops in the keg, I tried putting a nylon over the auto siphon , which worked for a few minutes then got clogged up, I moved the nylon to the end of the racking hose but still had trouble with it, it slowly finished and the beer came out clear of hops but it was kind of a pita, any one have other suggestions?/

Bottled my pilsner today. Got an abv of 5.6% from an OG of 1.055 and an FG of 1.012.

Then I cleaned and organized a bunch of my brew equipment and stuff...

Peeked at my house IPA brewed on Saturday early this morning. Seeing some Co2 but no airlock activity yet, but it's in a big carboy with too much headspace (yeah I know, but I can see my beer!), 5 gallons. Tucked it's towel tighter around it and spoke softly to it (yes I don't care). Then checked the temp on the Wee Heavy I brewed yesterday and stood for about 20 seconds just gloating at it. Last batch of it turned out fabulous and can't wait for this one. After that I pointedly ignored my dirty brewing equipment and skipped off to work...guess what I'm doing tonight. Yuck.

Bit of work on the new kegerator. Added the fan and plumbed in the beer lines. Realised it was pretty much operational so chucked a couple of kegs in and sampled two new pale ales. They wont last long.
Very happy. :ban:

I've got the day off, so I'm brewing!

I'm doing the sparge right now on my first brew, an Irish ale, and I just ground the grain for a double IPA for the second brew.

20170224_101345-X2.jpg

Just finished cleaning up from brewing earlier. Made a Simcoe/Centennial Pale Ale using only late hopping. This is my first time not using a traditional bittering addition so I am excited to see how it turns out.

Finished putting new beverage lines in tower #1 of my new kegerator... Damn, installing triple shanks in a tube is a PITA!

The other day I had installed the new CO2 lines, including a main from a 20 lb tank outside the unit, and lines to and from the new 4 line secondary regulator. Definitely looking forward to being able to independently control the pressures on multiple kegs!

Today I also tested all the CO2 connections for leaks...

Should be kegging and starting to carbonate at least 2 waiting brews this evening

Went to LBS to get a gas connector. 25$, I don't think so. He warned me against buying "cheap" ones online because they don't work. I think that's my last visit there.

Finished cleaning and leak testing my kettle after putting a herms coil in. Brewing tomorrow.

Yeast starter this morning. For a brew day tomorrow.

Tonight I'll bottle the remaining beer in the keg using the last straw, clean it and sanitize it to be refilled. Later I'll probably get all of my equipment set up tonight for brewing tomorrow.

Made a starter of wlp028 to use in my wee heavy, which will be brewed Sunday! Sunday!! SUNDAY!!!

Just got my grains ground and the grist is together... 15# bill and Edinburgh yeast is starting! Tomorrow will be a fine day.

Just have to clean some vessels and measure water before bedtime.

Finished my mash paddle, cleaned fermenters, bump up the temp of the triple, mounted the new chiller to the brew stand.

I went to re-slant my yeast collection on Sunday and realized the slants I made a few months ago didn't really set and they were all mush, so last night I made up some fresh slants. And while I have the pressure canner out, I should probably can some more starter wort. And while I'm at it, I should inoculate some little starter wort vials with the yeast I plan to slant so it'll make it easier to streak the slants.

Once everything was done and I was cleaning up, I realized it was 7:45 and I should probably get started on dinner because SWMBO's probably hungry.

Bottled 5 gals of cream ale last night. Today I"m getting a flowchart together that gives me a good visual of my current brewing process, along with a list of areas to target for better sanitation, consistency, and time usage on brewing and bottling days.

Built a spunding valve, kegged smoked IPA on 2 oz corn sugar to naturally carbonate.

I just started cleaning and sanitizing everything for my first brew. I've had all the equipment for about 2 weeks now, but haven't had the time due to family "issues". Having a 2 1/2 year old son, and 9 year old daughter can make for a busy schedule. Well the wife is working second shift, and I decided I'm going for it! I'm gonna be brewing an American Pale Wheat mini mash kit. When I stopped at my lhbs to pick up all my supplies the first thing the owner did after saying hi was pour me a pint of this delicious brew. I picked up a kit immediately. I'll admit that I'm a little concerned about the "mash" (steep), but I'm looking forward to the experience. Oh, and I ordered a couple glasses from the SN gift shop.

Just monitoring the temps in my swamp cooler so this wee heavy has a fighting chance at greatness.

Back